Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A few more clusters to add to my collection

LostNSpace

Hi All

Clear nights may of been few and far between lately but last night certainly made up for it. Hows the saying go? `Good things come to those who wait`

Started off last night by adding to my collection of clusters.....Well 2 to begin with, my 3rd cluster of the night was my very last target before dawn broke.

A very popular one at the moment in the forum M13, 16 x 25 sec exp @ ISO 800

6528_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

M53 - 15 x 25 sec subs @ ISO 800

6529_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

The final one of the clusters is M29.....An open cluster found in Cygnus, quite difficult to recognise and i wasnt 100% positive i had even captured it until i uploaded the data i had.......As dawn was fast approaching when i took this i only managed 5 subs x 25 secs....

6530_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Enjoy

Mark

yah M13 looks ace, very crisp. like the open cluster M29 too though, as i have trouble seeing them ewhen observing. you know spotting them against background stars. took me forever to find the 3 in auriga

Thanks Arran.....

Try working with shorter subs when it comes to imaging GC`s and not as many subs.....I only take between 2 and 5 minutes worth of data....Most of the time 14 to 16, 25 sec subs.....taken at ISO800......I have tried longer subs and the images start to look burnt out.....

Mark

Yeah I think my processing is not helping either, as even though I did longer subs, I have less star detail around the core.

I really must get my Canon modded too, the colouring is a lot better :D

Lovely images there although i must admit i wouldn't have picked out M29 without the little sticker on it...........I've never tried to find it with my own scope, probably a good job............... :D

Nice pics, M29 was one of the first things I saw visually though my refractor last year and it lookd superb :grin: .

Maybe the reason not many small OC`s like this one are imaged....because they are too difficult to make out.......I think there has only been 2 posts previous to mine of M29

I think if we're being honest, it's that Open Clusters aren't that popular to image because they aren't that spectacular with the exception of the double cluster. Funny thing is that that they're actually not that difficult to do and if you can get the different colours of the stars, they do look rather impressive :lol: . I did a few afocally late last year/early this year and I was quite chuffed with how they came out.

Tony..

Thanks guys

Yes i have to agree with you there Ian and Tony, a hard one to spot really, the subs nearly ended up being binned because of this.......And they arent as spectacular as GC`s with the exception of Plaiedes, the beehive and the double cluster....But it makes a change from just trying to image the usual suspects......Always nice to image something different.....

I'm a great fan of globs and I like both your M13 and your M53 very much. I notice that nearly all the posts above praise your M13 (rightly) but hardly a mention of your M53 which is an equally good effort of a considerably fainter target! I love picking out fainter globs (there are a lot in Ophiuchus) and seeing what I can make of them.

And, you know, there are a hell of a lot of stars buried in that glob that are right there in your image but not being shown to best advantage! I'm fairly brutal in my processing of globs and, if you'll forgive me taking a bit of a liberty, I stretched your M53 a bit, with this result: see what you think. Not everyone will agree with my treatment!

No Pete i dont mind at all you stretching M53.....Great job you have done with it as well, thanks :grin: ......

Im still trying to learn how to process my data to get the best out of the data.....Lot to learn yet but i`ll get there.....

Cheers again

Mark

Archived