NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter Feb 10th

Space Cowboy

Seeing is really bad at the moment isn't it Stuart. Similar result to my first shots for over a year. I will post.

Still its good to practise with your new ADC. Hard to tell the benefit in the comparison, because of the seeing. Would love to see another under better seeing.

Nice work despite the terrible conditions

That's a good result for the seeing + alt Stuart. Its been by and large a miserable time for planetary imaging. I saw a post on Facebook today from Damian Peach saying it's the worst he's known in his 19yrs of observing!!

Pete

1 hour ago, theo said:

That's a good result for the seeing + alt Stuart. Its been by and large a miserable time for planetary imaging. I saw a post on Facebook today from Damian Peach saying it's the worst he's known in his 19yrs of observing!!

I think a lot of it is to do with the jet

stream Theo. Very few clear nights.

Steve.

7 hours ago, Grotemobile said:

I think a lot of it is to do with the jet

stream Theo. Very few clear nights.

Steve.

The effect of the Jetstream does of course have a big effect on the stability of the air and is well known. I think this year we are also seeing a strong El Nino effect as well. I have been out on two occasions where the Jetstream has been well out of the way and 300mb charts have looked very favourable yet the seeing has been awful. The mechanics of it all are quite complex but the mixing of the warmer air brought in by El Nino and colder air does cause very poor seeing also. This is what I think we are seeing quite a lot of recently in the UK. 

Pete.

15 hours ago, si@nite said:

A decent result at low alt per bad seeing also Stuart, but colour looks good so the adc is doing its job, something i would not be without even for mono imaging especially with low elevation of the the planets from the uk!

http://skyinspector.co.uk/atm-dispersion-corrector--adc

I just wondered what this was Stuart. First time

I have seen one of these. Just got to get one now.

Looks very good.

Steve. 

Thanks for all your comments guys! I was not going to bother posting but then remembered to try the domain transfer filter in image analyser which has enhanced the image enough to make it "usable".

I saw Damian's comments too Pete regarding this being the worst winter he could remember. I can't recall a single high pressure system since about October.  Hopefully things will settle down in March & April.

I'm not sure you would see the benefit of an ADC with your 8" scope Steve. The general consensus seems to be that they are more suited for larger scopes at higher focal lengths. The ZWO model is by far the cheapest if you want to give it a try anyway.

If we get some decent conditions I will post up a comparison with and without the ADC  Michael.

That is a image especially with the conditions around. I have been out for on average of twice a week at least this year. There has been virtually no high pressure around at all, but even Thursday night when it was 1016 MB the seeing was still not great. As has been said even the jet stream when it was away hasn't improved things much.

Archived