Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nightmare...

Ive just rebuilt it all from scratch again, I don't really want to check fuses etc due to it being under warranty atm :)

Coordinates, ive entered them into one of the astro programs I use, and it converts from the -02.343432423 <- not the real number ha! and converts it into the -02 11 or what ever my location is ^_^

Gareth

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The difference between 002 11W and 002 20W is minimal and would not create a problem like this. The coordinates of central Manchester are 002 17W , 53 29N so the OPs coordinates are not going to be much different. 

I know, but if it is an error all through his setup, i.e. on other settings a well ?

Small, points add up!

Derek

Just to throw in.. those coord I gave was just a example :) but it is about -002 13w something or other never remember on top of my head! Kids have ruined my brain cells -_- but even if it was 20 minutes, When say, Castor is high in the sky.. I wouldn't say 20 minutes would be enough to make out its not even up yet if that makes sense o.O 

Still awaiting reply from the supplier ( Telescope and binoculars who to be fair was very helpful and have been for the first few months )

Gareth

Not familiar with your scope but can you get a read out on the hand controller of where it thinks it's pointing ?
So if to use your example you goto Castor it should say 7.34.35 / +31.53.14 if it says this and it's pointing at the ground then something is wrong with it :)

Dave

Hi louise,

In a way it does, lets put it this way.. 

say if you look at your wall in your living room, dining room etc. and Pollux is at the join for the wall and ceiling,  but the telescope points at the middle of the floor.

Now the mount north leg is point north ( checked with compass ) and when you mean clock, do you mean The RA Dail near the polar scope eyepiece to polar align? or the actual time on the handset?

Sorry so many query's and questions! Ha I feel such a novice :( 

7 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

Not familiar with your scope but can you get a read out on the hand controller of where it thinks it's pointing ?
So if to use your example you goto Castor it should say 7.34.35 / +31.53.14 if it says this and it's pointing at the ground then something is wrong with it :)

Dave

Il take a looksee now :)

Gareth

20 minutes ago, Gareth88 said:

Hi louise,

In a way it does, lets put it this way.. 

say if you look at your wall in your living room, dining room etc. and Pollux is at the join for the wall and ceiling,  but the telescope points at the middle of the floor.

Now the mount north leg is point north ( checked with compass ) and when you mean clock, do you mean The RA Dail near the polar scope eyepiece to polar align? or the actual time on the handset?

Sorry so many query's and questions! Ha I feel such a novice :( 

Il take a looksee now :)

Gareth

Hi

Um, when you say leg is pointing north it makes  me wonder.. Normally the 'single' leg of the tripod points south and the other two point north.

Yeah, I meant the time you enter eg 20:00 rather than 8:00...

Louise

My eq5 mount has a leg that has a big N on it, according to the manual it states that the N leg should be facing North, if I remember rightly even AstronomyShed youtube video of setup says north as well.

Yep, my time is enter correctly on the handset, ive Triple triple checked this :)

Gareth

10 minutes ago, Gareth88 said:

My eq5 mount has a leg that has a big N on it, according to the manual it states that the N leg should be facing North, if I remember rightly even AstronomyShed youtube video of setup says north as well.

Yep, my time is enter correctly on the handset, ive Triple triple checked this :)

Gareth

Ok - just checking! So, like FLO's pic with weights down and pointing north. I'm running out of ideas...

31 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Hi

Um, when you say leg is pointing north it makes  me wonder.. Normally the 'single' leg of the tripod points south and the other two point north.

Yeah, I meant the time you enter eg 20:00 rather than 8:00...

Louise

It depends where the pin is placed. It is customary to have the single leg pointing North but it doesn't make a jot of difference.

15 minutes ago, wuthton said:

It depends where the pin is placed. It is customary to have the single leg pointing North but it doesn't make a jot of difference.

Ok - I don't have that choice with the heq5 as it's a fixed pin but didn't know if it was the same as the eq5.

Louise

19 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Ok - I don't have that choice with the heq5 as it's a fixed pin but didn't know if it was the same as the eq5.

Louise

The EQ5 and HEQ5 share the same tripod with the fixed pin unlike the EQ6 where you can swap it. You've got a southern hemisphere tripod but the only advantage of a North leg is that it (slightly) helps to align the mount North when placing the tripod. If someone is unable to place a mount pointing north without the aid of a North leg they really should just pack up and watch TV. :happy11:

24 minutes ago, wuthton said:

The EQ5 and HEQ5 share the same tripod with the fixed pin unlike the EQ6 where you can swap it. You've got a southern hemisphere tripod but the only advantage of a North leg is that it (slightly) helps to align the mount North when placing the tripod. If someone is unable to place a mount pointing north without the aid of a North leg they really should just pack up and watch TV. :happy11:

My avx is the same with two legs facing north. My heq5 is actually on a *pier mount but that also has two feet pointing north.

Edit: *pedestal

So after two pages of love and help! ( thank you all so much )  I think I might of figured out what was rong... I blame the kids! For some reason my RA locking nut was tight.. Tight enough for the dail not to move? Could this be the problem?! Cause now I've released it.. It seems to be behaving a lot more "normal" and parking more normal! Weights down scope up! 

Feel such a wally! Ha 

now where to hide the telescope from the kids :p 

Gareth

2 hours ago, Gareth88 said:

So after two pages of love and help! ( thank you all so much )  I think I might of figured out what was rong... I blame the kids! For some reason my RA locking nut was tight.. Tight enough for the dail not to move? Could this be the problem?! Cause now I've released it.. It seems to be behaving a lot more "normal" and parking more normal! Weights down scope up! 

Feel such a wally! Ha 

now where to hide the telescope from the kids :p 

Gareth

Aahhh.....

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

In an Obsy? :D

It's trying to convince other half! But it's in the pipeline.. Managed to squeeze a focuser out of her for my birthday.. Now just got to pick the day when to construct the obsy when she's at work.. So I can cover it in a floral design and tell her it's a summer house.. :D And if she queerys the sliding roof .. Well it's for when the weather is right you can sunbathe ...  God she will kill me ha! 

Archived