Drop of SDO

Drop Of Sun

Hi Folks,

I know this is not for everyone, but I have decided to quit imaging with my Quark and capturing my own data. I am going to have fun playing with data from NASA/SDO. I'll post my efforts in this thread. I am hoping to write a tutorial soon in case anyone else wants to give this a go! You can play with amazing solar data without having to buy a very expensive h-a scope. Thanks for looking.

24572836479_8b49da75da_h.jpg

Level 1 data courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams
Stardate: 6th Sept. 2014

I love looking at the Sun, studying it's changing moods and taking pictures of it.  I agree with you whole heartedly though about how much pleasure we can get from accessing the many streams of images and data from the Sun.  It's so nice to be able to monitor the Sun almost minute by minute in all wavelengths of light to help us through those pesky cloudy periods, when we may be away from home and our equipment, or when for any other reason we are denied our solar fix.

I can remember in the early 70's when I started observing the Sun, projecting the Sun's mage  and not having a clue if I'd draw a blank or be greeted by a wonderfully complex and dynamic giant sunspot.  (I do miss the excitement and sense of discovery though)  There was just not the means to find out what was happening - and wouldn't know about anything I'd missed until it appeared in a BAA circular, or the BAA Journal, weeks or months later. 

As you say, anyone can be involved in following and studying the Sun in real time even if they haven't the tools of the trade themselves. 

Thanks, all! Here's another one from the same date:

24588837499_eb2e590fbb_h.jpg

Level 1 data courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams
Stardate: 6th Sept. 2014

Yes, GreatAttractor, they have 4096x4096 :)

laudropb, I am hoping to do the tut over the weekend.

Pete, you are right that I will not miss the pesky clouds. The frustration of missing out on a big lift off is gone! I guess there will be no eclipse images though, no flyovers. Mind you, if there is a flyover, that could be interesting... :D

Paul, I forgot to say I intend to carry on observing. I'm not that bothered when I process whether it's my data or not, I feel closer to Sol when I process data wherever it's from, just another way of experiencing the wonder of our star. I might have a play with Hubble Legacy Archive too, deep sky imaging doesn't fit my life at the mo.

Thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ridiculously beautiful images Luke.

Just need someone to invent a solar scope to catch stuff like this from Earth :grin:

Are you going to SGLX11 ? I'm  booked for Fri', Sat' and Sunday.

Dave

Thanks for your very kind words, Dave and Paul! Dave, I don't think we will make it to the next SGL. :icon_sad: 'tis a bit of a trek for us unless we stay some extra days and make it into a hol, which is very nice there but I have to get to Cornwall this year to check if they do even better pasties than in Lyme Regis!!

27519775402_6a714d17d5_o.jpg

27605176235_911094381c_o.jpg

27520674162_42b53c207a_o.jpg

---
7th & 14th July, 2014
AIA171 level 1 data courtesy of NASA/SDO and the AIA, EVE, and HMI science teams

Cracking set of images Luke. I need to get back on the SDO soon

8 hours ago, Drop Of Sun said:

I have to get to Cornwall this year to check if they do even better pasties than in Lyme Regis!!

I can confirm that the pasties in Cornwall are indeed better than in Lyme Regis. Sarah's in Looe (I'm not affiliated) is one of many excellent shops. 

Archived