Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Witch! (IC 2118)

MartinFransson

My second go at the Witch Head Nebula, IC 2118. The first try didn´t turn out well because this in one darned dim object for a DSLR! Had another go, this time with calibration frames and more data. Turned out really well I think, even if I had to stretch it quite hard and more exposure is needed to improve the S/N ratio! This one never reaches over 25 degrees above the horizon and it is in a direction where I have some LP.

A little over 5 hours (63*5 minutes), ISO800, f/4
Canon EOS 1100D (not modified)
Canon EF 300/4L IS lens

Stacked with flats, bias, darks in Pixinsight. Processing in PI and PS CS6.

Enjoy!

Witch_63x5min_LRGB_fina_IIl.jpg

51 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Quite something from a standard DSLR. Really nicely done. Were you persecuted by satellites? I had dozens of them during my run on this.

Olly

Thanks Olly!

You know what, there´s hardly a trace of a satellite in any of the 63 subs! A bit surprised myself. My biggest problem was LP and the facts that it never got above 25 degrees over the horizon.

10 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Quite something from a standard DSLR. Really nicely done. Were you persecuted by satellites? I had dozens of them during my run on this.

Olly

I am newish to astrophotography and this section of the forum - it is hard to stop looking at all the posts and checking out the equipment that was used to get the pictures. In your signature you have a Baader Modified Canon 1100D but your post says you used an unmodified one. So just to be clear do you have two 1100D's? If you can do this good with an unmodified then for some of us it may be enough to keep us from wanting to move on to a modded DSLR  or a dedicated astrocamera.

1 hour ago, beka said:

I am newish to astrophotography and this section of the forum - it is hard to stop looking at all the posts and checking out the equipment that was used to get the pictures. In your signature you have a Baader Modified Canon 1100D but your post says you used an unmodified one. So just to be clear do you have two 1100D's? If you can do this good with an unmodified then for some of us it may be enough to keep us from wanting to move on to a modded DSLR  or a dedicated astrocamera.

Yes, that's right. I have two 1100D ? Forgot to edit the sig. For targets like this one I prefer the unmodded one. 

Fantastic Martin!

I was not sure it could be done from Sweden, I thought that we may be too far North for this one. I may give it a try. I assume I would have to hurry since it is on its way down from the horizon if I got my bearings right.

Archived