Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Strange Object In Telescope

The other night I was looking randomly through the sky in my telescope, which is a 90mm aperture 1200mm focal length maksutov. Everything went as it normally does until I saw this strange object moving across the eyepeice. I followed it for a while, and noticed it was moving in a perfectly straight line. It's probably worth noting that I couldn't see it with my eyes only in the telescope.

Now I thought it had to be a rocket body or some sort of satellite, but upon further inspection I realized that it was pulsing in brightness. Every few seconds it would gradually increase in brightness and then decrease. Any ideas as to what this is?

Edit: Sorry, just realized this is in the wrong category, but I'm not sure how to delete it.

1 minute ago, Herzy said:

That's pretty cool to have seen it just by randomly looking in the sky!

That's one way of looking at it - but these pieces of junk frequently fly through your FOV when imaging and there are thousands of them up there!

ChrisH

• 3 weeks later...

It is another kind of pollution:  we already have to deal with air pollution, light pollution, now we have visual pollution as well. and at a point that stuff  will come down...

What happened to the land and the oceans on earth is happening in the sky, too. When will they learn?

Maybe when a piece of space junk lands into their own living room...

Here's a nice, little freeware-program to help you find & identify the satellites zipping over our heads 24/7. It's getting mighty crowded up there!

Previsat will also help you know when an Iridium Communications-Satellite will give off a flare (flash of bright light as it turns and reflects the Sun) to be seen. So here you go:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/previsat/

There are many other satellite-tracking programs available. But I like this one the best.

Enjoy -

Dave

Archived