NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Budget Canon lens suitable for Astrophotography

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing some clearing up and found an M42 to Canon EF mount adapter ring so since I have a number of M42 Asahi Super Takumar or similar lenses I shall be using these lenses on my DSLRs for widefield.  So far I haven't done much with widefield imaging and it's a field I want to get into.  ATM I'm trying hard to restore my interest in astro imaging after a long period of not doing any.

Edited by Gina
  • Like 1

+1 for the Jena Sonnar 135.

You can check a quick attempt at Orion here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByhJ_xuQxcnjTTA1dnZhUnpkdH
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByhJ_xuQxcnjdFY4Z3FEaWs0YTg

I could have processed them better, but anyways..
Both are from the same stack, just one is brightened more. They are a stack of about 50 subs @ 15s each, about 20 darks, 20 bias, 20 flats taken with a Canon 450D, ISO800 on a Skywatcher AZ Synscan.

Regards,

Alex

• Like 1

Not sure if its the sonnar, but I've owned (from new!) a late multi-coated carl zeiss jenna 135mm f3.5 and it still holds up well. I also got the 35mm f2.4 Flektogon at the same time, all part of a kit with a film SLR. Most, but not all, of their lenses were very good and generally go for a lot on eBay as they have a cult following.

Here is an example of the 135mm on the atik with an Ha filter:

gallery_35422_3755_825834.jpg

• Like 3

For those with mirror-less cameras (4/3s, Fuji X, Sony alpha, etc) Canon FD lenses work a treat, I've pick up 85mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8, 200mm F4 , and 300mm F4 for not a lot of cash from ebay in the last year and had some pretty nice shoots.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post but wanted to add in how much I would recommend fixed lenses over cheap zooms! I've been working away on the my Canon ef-s 55-250 lens and not super happy with the results. However, I picked up this Super-Takumar 135mm F3.5 lens for £35 and it really is much easier to work with. And.. frankly, better results. I really blew out the stars on my edits here (much to learn there!) but this was captured using an unmodified 600d, CLS filter, and the Star Adventurer. 19lightsx90seconds.

NA2 For sharing.jpg

First Try edits jpeg.jpg

• Like 1