Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mercury transit.

DazC

On the 9th of May this year, Mercury will transit the Sun.

Looking on Stellarium, from my location it will start at 12 Noon and end around 7pm.

Now..... I have ordered some Baader astrosolar safety film as I've wanted to start observing the Sun for a while anyway. But as for the Mercury transit; would I be able to see Mercury against the disk of the Sun through my 10" Dob or would the sun still be too bright/Mercury be too small to stand out?

D.C

I would say you get a good view. check out Jeremy Perez website http://www.perezmedia.net/beltofvenus/  His image of the transit of Venus says the view with a 8" dob, but it doesn't say whether it was a full filter or not. You can see quite small sunspots so the transit should not be a problem.

I have never seen one myself so I am looking forward to it as well, weather permitting. At least it is a long event so we should get a few gaps at least!

Thank you both for replying.

I was quite looking forward to seeing the transit but, after both of your replies, I'm looking forward to it even more!

Pete, thanks for the website, i'll take a look at it.

Here's hoping for clear skies.

D.C

As the others have said................yes you will be able to observe the transit safely and be able to see the planet passings across the Sun's surface. I guess its just a question of how much magnification to use. I dont think it would have to be very much. Really looking forward to this myself as i wasnt really bothered by the last planetary transit (Venus i think it was) and i didnt have a good clear view let alone any proper solar observing gear. 

Also clean your eyepieces... I have looked at the sun once, though a proper filter, and I saw lots of small stuff in my view. I suspect it was the eyepieces. On a bright background like the sun, you see it really clear.

Funny thing for a first time solar observation, is that I found it quite difficult to find the sun, as I didn't use any finder. And when I finally found it, it filled the whole FOV the my 25mm eyepiece.

Thanks for reminding us of the transit.

10 minutes ago, Linda said:

Also clean your eyepieces... I have looked at the sun once, though a proper filter, and I saw lots of small stuff in my view. I suspect it was the eyepieces. On a bright background like the sun, you see it really clear.

Funny thing for a first time solar observation, is that I found it quite difficult to find the sun, as I didn't use any finder. And when I finally found it, it filled the whole FOV the my 25mm eyepiece.

Yanks for reminding us of the transit.

The Sun can be pretty difficult to find. I dont use a finder or anything either, so i have learned to use the "shadow method". Basically point scope towards Sun and when the shadow of your scope is in a straight line and at its shortest.........you are pretty much on target.

I followed the last transit of Mercury using the only solar kit I had at the time - a pair on Coronado Binomite 10x25 binoculars. Despite the small aperture and low mag it was very obvious. Far smaller than Venus when it transited though, I found that surprisingly big!

Wow, just checked and didn't realise it will last so long. I won't even see the end of it.

Still I have already asked if the wife can have the day off but I think it is a public holiday anyway so this is good news. Not had a lot of luck weather wise with eclipses and such of late, who would of thought Spain could have so much cloud.

Anyway a bit worried about imaging so late in the day but it is as good enough excuse as any to resupply some new baader film.

Looking forward to this. Saw the transit of Venus a few years (2004) back and a transit of Mercury previous to that (2003) as well. Both of these were viewed via projection with my trusty Tasco 60mm frac so will be interesting to turn some of my new kit loose on this one and also grab some images too.

Archived