Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding Query For EQ5 Mount

Davide Simonetti

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the right section. I have a guiding query I hope people here may be able to help me with. I have just purchased a Skywatcher EQ5 mount (without GoTo) and also the Skywatcher Enhanced Dual Axis Handset For EQ5 in order to be able to guide (this has yet to arrive so I haven't been able to look at it closely). I was wondering if anyone here has worked with this setup and particularly if there is anything else I need to get in order to make it work.

From what I can tell the Skywatcher Enhanced Dual Axis Handset comes with the two motors and has an ST-4 interface for an Auto-Guider. So far so good, but I can't see how it communicates with the laptop to make guiding corrections dictated by the software (I use PHD for guiding). My guiding camera is the ZWO ASI120C and the guidescope is the Orion 50mm mini guidescope. There must surely be a cable that goes from the USB port to the handset but I can't see any mention of one, or indeed if something like that is required. Looking at other setups and examining the PHD settings, I've seen mention of something called a GPUSB guide port interface adapter which plugs directly into a USB port on the computer. Using an RJ-12 cable, the adapter connects to the guide port of the telescope mount (or in this case the Enhanced Dual Axis Handset hopefully). I'm assuming I'll need something like this.

On my old setup a cable goes from the USB port of my laptop and is converted to a plug that goes into the bottom of the Celestron handset and is controlled wth the ASCOM Celestron Telescope driver, while the guide camera (ZWO ASI120C) connects to the mount. While I can see how the guide camera connects to the Enhanced Dual Axis Handset on what will be the new setup, I can't see any USB cable or converter that goes into the new handset, nor can I see any mention of the need for one, which strikes me as odd. 

Looking at the PHD settings and also at other setups online, I saw mention of something called a GPUSB guide port interface adapter which plugs directly into a USB port on the computer. Using an RJ-12 cable, the adapter connects to the guide port of the telescope mount (or in this case the Enhanced Dual Axis Handset...hopefully). I'm assuming I must need something like this and that the Enhanced Dual Axis Handset accepts one (or an ASCOM equivalent - I didn't see Skywatcher listed in the PHD driver options). 

I hope this makes some sort of sense. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :icon_biggrin:

The camera is connected to the laptop through a usb cable. The camera then sends a video feed to PHD. PDH then sends the corrective commands back to the camera which in turn sends the signal to the handset through the ST4 ports.  The two cable connections are :- camera to laptop (USB)  and camera guide port to handset guide port (ST4) . In PHD you select "on camera" for the mount type and ASI for the camera type.

http://openphdguiding.org/manual/?section=Basic_use.htm#Equipment_Connection

44 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The camera is connected to the laptop through a usb cable. The camera then sends a video feed to PHD. PDH then sends the corrective commands back to the camera which in turn sends the signal to the handset through the ST4 ports.  The two cable connections are :- camera to laptop (USB)  and camera guide port to handset guide port (ST4) . In PHD you select "on camera" for the mount type and ASI for the camera type.

http://openphdguiding.org/manual/?section=Basic_use.htm#Equipment_Connection

Ah, thanks for that Peter. I was getting really confused. I thought PHD sent corrective commands to the handset via another USB and not back to the camera. Phew! I can't wait for this gadget to arrive now...and of course some decent weather. Thanks also for the PHD settings...very helpful :icon_biggrin:

Archived