Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Good Night With New Evolution 925

GrahamNW

I dabbled in astronomy a few years back with a cheapish 500 cm reflector on an equatorial mount. Not a bad bit of kit but cheapo eyepieces and a wobbly tripod didn't help much. I do recall being gobsmacked by Saturn .mesmerised almost. Life conspired against me and the scope fell by the way side but the interest never went.

So...interest renewed I just treated myself to a celestron evolution 9.25. I started out with a budget of £600 for a 6 inch goto and things kind of got out of hand!

Tonight was my first night without clouds and .. wow!

I've been out for about 6 hours, I'm frozen, and I can't wait to go again

Aswell as all,the obvious stuff like the orion nebula, (wow) and the Pleades, I also managed to see the pinwheel and starfish clusters, but the absolute highlight for me was the Eskimo nebula. Unbelievable.

I took some decent images of the moon with my dslr and got a pic of Betelguesse that I'm very pleased with.

Jupiter arrived to late for me. I did manage to see Io and callisto and made out about 5 of the weather stripes, but the seeing was very wobbly and I couldn't make out the red spot. Probably would have been better viewing as it rises higher in the sky but I had to pack in.

All I need to know now is how to clean the front glass on the scope. It kept misting up so I used a hairdryer to clear it, bit it is no longer a s super clear and clear as it was. Any tips?

Next purchase will be a heated dew shield to go with the set of planetary filters, pollution filter and 8 to 24 mm zoom piece already on order!

Hi Graham, Derekus here, I am so excited to have a night like that with my 6 in celetron, We need the rain here quite drastically, however I look forward to a clear night to drag the orange tube out and properly align it. 

Cheers from Southern Cal

Hi Graham and welcome to SGL,

Congratulations on your 9.25 and report. If you have not got a dew shield, get one. SCT's & Maksutov's are dew magnets. When bringing the 'scope indoors, reassemble it, remove the objective cover and point that end of the 'scope down a few degrees so that any dew/moisture on the corrector plate runs off it, not into it. Leave it whilst you go to bed or whatever for as long as possible, then put it away. If the corrector plate looks really bad so you cannot see, get some Baader Wonder Clean and the cloth. There are plenty of cleaning tips here on SGL and elsewhere on the Internet.

I would recommend a Neodymium filter and individual eyepieces. Do not go for a set as you may not use all of them.

Clear skies.

Baader wonder fluid now purchased !

Thanks

How often do people usually clean the primary lens? Mine has a little of the water spot effect you see after water evaporates from a surface if you catch the light at the right angle. I don't know if it's enough to affect performance noticeably

Mine has been out dozens of times and it mists up usually when it comes back inside, as per the advice above unless it is very dirty then do not worry too much about cleaning the front lens. I have cleaned mine once but only because I accidentally touched it with one finger whilst moving it and the grease/sweat of your fingers might not be good for the coatings. What your describing is unlikely to affect your observations. You certainly do not want to be cleaning it after every session.

Follow the advice with the fluid about cleaning, essentially same as camera lenses, use a rocket blower first to get rid of any potential small particles that could cause a scratch before you apply fluid and tissues. 

Great scope, I love mine, and welcome to SGL

Archived