NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Belt to Sword - Part II

Uranium235

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maximidius, on 13 Jan 2016 - 2:48 PM, said:

Freakin work of art - This is gonna be spectacular wearing colour! Proper looking forward to the finished image...Lets hope for a run of good weather so you can get it done  :icon_biggrin:

Speaking of which.... we have three nights of clear sky forecast starting Thursday (shhhh! the clouds might hear it!) :) So Im going to take a break from the Ha, and hammer it with the DSLR for colour while the Moon is still relatively out of the way - I can always catch up on the Ha at a later date. I took a few test shots the other night with the 1000d/Star71 combo and the field was so flat its ridiculous!

Speaking of which.... we have three nights of clear sky forecast starting Thursday (shhhh! the clouds might hear it!) :) So Im going to take a break from the Ha, and hammer it with the DSLR for colour while the Moon is still relatively out of the way - I can always catch up on the Ha at a later date. I took a few test shots the other night with the 1000d/Star71 combo and the field was so flat its ridiculous!

Mum's the word buddy, If you've got some spare good weather - throw some this way please lol.

I agree, HA you can catch up with it later, but while it's clear and dark, best to get the RGB in.

Those star 71s are epic...Man, I'm hankering for an equivalent that's being sold over here, quintuplet 70mm. It's got a good rep and reasonable price, although not cheap and not a WO. TAK FSQ would be nice being as I live in TAK land lol. But they hold there value and people pay crazy money for them over here.

Keeping both eyes on this thread..and then some lol.

Good luck!!!

Well... I got just over 90min worth on the HH section.... and then it started sleeting! I suppose thats not as bad as rain since it gave me a chance to do the quickest tear-down in history before the gear got too wet.

I'm just trying to calibrate the subs now... I forgot how much hassle a DSLR can be!  (noise hell!)

I know this definitely isnt the way to do it (using the Ha as Lum and adding some to the red channel too), but its put some colour into part of it. I'll have to have a think about how best to use the Canon data, hopefully tomorrow will give me a better sky to work with. Also, Alnitak was quite badly bloated at subs of 7.5min so its double was only just visible - even when the data wasnt stretched. This is just an ultra-rough process (no sharpening or contrast):

post-5513-0-88183900-1452814271_thumb.jp

Also, my local LP (and Moon) really exposes the limitations of my location for LRGB work.

Thanks John :)

Colour.... hmmm its something I'd like (but its not essential), its more of an experiment to see if I can get the two cameras singing together. However, the updated forecast has snow for Saturday night, which means one night (tonight) will be nowhere near enough to add the required amount of DSLR data.

Looks like it might be back to the Ha, as that part of the project was quite close to completion before I took this minor colour detour.

Rob, I hope your able to process the HA and DSLR colour to match well, The Ha is such great data. I would try for colour with the Atik if you get the weather or go for the colour next winter.

Might be the best idea, finishing the colour off next winter, I dont have any 2" RGB filters (cant afford em @ the mo!). So I think maybe I should get the Ha as good as I can get it - then anything else is a bonus.

Your Ha data is fantastic, and Yes, also to me your colour version looks spectacular. I really like the shine behind the horse head (I assume that is due to the Ha luminosity). Until you get the RGB filters, I think you should use your DSLR for the other half too, at least to give you (and us!!) an idea of what it will finally look like.

Your Ha data is fantastic, and Yes, also to me your colour version looks spectacular. I really like the shine behind the horse head (I assume that is due to the Ha luminosity). Until you get the RGB filters, I think you should use your DSLR for the other half too, at least to give you (and us!!) an idea of what it will finally look like.

At nearly £350 for a set of RGB filters, its going to be a long wait!! :)

Its just cleared here so Im going to set up and polish off this Ha once and for all. If I can get it done by midnight I might have time for a quick Rosette too.

Archived