SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Belt to Sword - Part II

Uranium235

Another step closer to something good, last night was a belter in terms of sky quality so I raked in another 90min per pane and its starting to have an effect on the noise levels. Still not perfect, but im now able to present it at a larger scale (75%) and throw in some contrast enhancement.

Probably another 5 hour stint will be enough to get it where I want it, and Tuesday night is looking like its going to be the night for it (fingers crossed!). Ive stll not bothered with an M42 core just yet, Im saving that for the final version.... I'll just be glad when this bit is done becuase the DSLR data should be easier to get as it will cover most of this area in just two panes.

4.5hrs per pane (x3) 900s subs (Ha)

Star71, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking! :)

24175521341_e42fc3ea87_h.jpg

https://flic.kr/p/CQiSet

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys :)

Actually, I thought something was up with it while processing it becuase the flame was getting lost amongst the Ha (I thought it was a gradient) - until I compared it to Steve L's version (thats my reference image) and it is indeed correct :)  I just need to nail the left pane a bit more because that is the one ive been hitting first each night - I just need to be a bit more patient and wait for it to rise, rather than hitting it while its still in the murk.

Wow, such great detail you captured. There is obviously a reason why this portion of the Milky Way is everyone's favorite. Never stops to amaze me. I cannot wait to see you final result

That's coming on a treat Rob - looks superb.

Martin

Thanks Martin, I've been looking to bag this one (properly) ever since starting AP and this may be the year when I finally get round to it! I tried it last year with the 130, but at six panes it was just too much work with not enough clear sky.

That's a staggeringly good image Rob.  You have certainly got the hang of bringing out superb detail and contrast from your images - this one shows very well the vast area of nebulosity in this patch of sky. 

Chris

Lovely Rob, great shot. I hope you don't mind, but the only criticism I have is that I think you have over sharpened the M42 area. For me that just looks a little un natural compared to the rest of the nebula. I hope you don't mind me saying this.

Tom

Lovely Rob, great shot. I hope you don't mind, but the only criticism I have is that I think you have over sharpened the M42 area. For me that just looks a little un natural compared to the rest of the nebula. I hope you don't mind me saying this.

Tom

Thats ok Tom, I did give it a double dose while I was there. I will bear that in mind for the next revision, thanks :)

This is coming along nicely Rob, going to be a stunner once its finished.

Is that as far as your going or are you going to add some more panes?

I was thinking about one more to the left, but that would extend the project time by about 8-10 hours. It depends on how much clear sky I get before the end of Feb, I can see that Tuesdays clear sky forecast has evaporated already so its a case of grabbing it when/if I can.

Thanks Sara :) the plan is to use the DSLR to add lum data while bagging the colour at the same time. The RM, M42 and flame are fairly bright things so I think that camera will be ok for it (as long as the data stack is deep enough), there is also a large blue component that ive yet to capture. But if it does need reinforcement due to noise, I will give it another blast with the CCD.

It will need some creative messing with layer masks to make the tranitions between data sets seamless.

Archived