Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How wide is wide?

miguel87

After an excellent new years eve viewing session at usk reservoir i realised that really enjoyed using my lowest power eyepiece (vixen npl 30mm 50deg afov) to gaze at fabulously clear dso's. I would have loved to frame the pleides more easily and view more of m31 in my eyepiece etc.

I have been considering a low power wide fov eyepiece for such purposes. Would i REALLY notice a step up to say 70deg afov?

Any opinions appreciated.

Thanks for the reply, very useful visualisation. I am considering the 32 panaview which would give me 31x mag and a true fov of 2.2 degrees.

Am i hoping for too much, i want to feel like my eye has more of a vista to explore??

In your scope the 32mm Panaview would show you a true 2 1/4 degrees of sky wheras the 30mm Vixen gives you 1 1/2 degrees - thats 50% more sky and quite a difference.

Whether the stars would be sharp right across the wider field is another matter. It's quite a tough optical trick to produce a wide field of view in an F/5 scope and keep the stars sharp right across it. Optics that can do that tend to cost quite a bit :wink:

I first viewed M31 with my sky-watcher 25mm then the 10mm, and to be honest what was all the fuss about? The Moon  views were stunning, even the Mrs agreed so that, yet was the limit of my 200P Skyliner?

I then bought a 60° Starguider, and to be honest, not much changed,  except the field of view and longer eye relief.

I then went to a darker site and WOW! the difference was stunning, especially when there is no local light pollution, directly shining in your eyes.

And there was M31 in all, well some of its glory? I just couldn't get it all in without moving the scope?  so I purchased the Sky watcher 32mm Panaview  with its 70° field of view, but don't got too wide, take the focal ratio of your scope and multiply that by the size of your pupil, use that result to  obtain your wide-field EP.  I should be about the 30mm mark, but the 32mm does me fine!

So in answer to your question, a wider field of view could enhance your visual pleasure, under the right conditions.

Thanks charic. In the lsst year i have been doing most of my observing from the reservoir mentioned above which i consider to be a very dark site, almost in the dark depths of mid-wales.

I think based on all the info i will take a punt on the panaview. Perhaps sell my vixen 30mm. I will have then finally upgraded all my original eyepice set after recently acquiring the vixen slv 9mm and 6mm. :)

......look around for a used one? The recommendation for the Panaview came from rwilkey, more info on that eyepiece here, http://www.swindonstargazers.com/beginners/eyepieces.htm

I have no regrets with mine. Its a 2" fitting, its not until it arrives in the hand do you appreciate its size?

I've also considered a newer scope recently with wider EP's namely the Tele Vue Delos range, and possibly a 24mm-35mm 68° Panoptic, but unless I test one first, I'll keep the Panaview for this telescope, as an f/4 corrected eyepiece is not essential just yet?

You will see that Skywatcher also does a 38mm Panaview but with your F/5 scope the 32mm is the more effective because it keeps the exit pupil (the bundle of light that exits the eyepiece) to a useable size.

Some years ago a naughty but nice man called Linton Guise stayed at my place and brought with him a 100 deg TeleVue Ethos when they were newly released.

I knew I would have to buy one.

I did eventually buy one - second hand.

The only person who will ever sell it will be my widow.

Olly

It will take some time to establish what's good and what's not, regarding eyepieces. Were a little fortunate to have John, who has tested many? but we don't have or share his eyes, so its always going to be a personal issue when it comes to EP's. You will only know by trying them yourself some time, and to be honest, most eyepieces can be sold on if their just not right for you?

I'm still building a Plossl set, and can't decide on the brand  ( mainly due to the constant bad weather and so little time to observe) between Tele Vue, Meade, Revelation, but its fun just testing and  trying, and eventually I will settle for one set. I also like sets A-Z so if there's a lot of eyepieces in a set, then its going to get expensive for me? I also struggle using an 8mm TV Plossl, so that excludes that set, unless I check the 8mm again, even the 11mm is still tight. Yet I actually  still favour my Revelations,  even the 6mm, yet how can this be, as the TV's are renowned as being "better" but by what margin? The Revelations are very good,  I like them.....simple as, and that's the reason why?  Its 'me' I'm dealing with and 'me' likes what I have, and how they work for my needs, and when' you' find what you like, the rest can be dismissed.  I  also missed a 12mm Delos ( local to me- gutted,  £150  maybe less If I'd collected ? could have been the second EP in that collection )  If they work, I`ll keep and even maybe re-consider the 300P upgrade, if they don't work, then they will sell on.

No matter what you purchase, have fun along the way.

I agree that trying for yourself is THE best way to see what "floats your boat" in eyepieces :smiley:

Next best thing is to read as many different views on them as you can. Each persons eye and brain is different but gradually, on some eyepieces, you start to see trends forming and a certain consistency in the feedback on them.

The 32mm Panaview is a popular wide field, low power eyepiece and I'm sure you will enjoy using it :smiley:

I agree that trying for yourself is THE best way to see what "floats your boat" in eyepieces :smiley:

Next best thing is to read as many different views on them as you can. Each persons eye and brain is different but gradually, on some eyepieces, you start to see trends forming and a certain consistency in the feedback on them.

The 32mm Panaview is a popular wide field, low power eyepiece and I'm sure you will enjoy using it :smiley:

Tele Vue Ethos  :smiley:

I haven't seen any negatives, except the cost

I stand corrected, having just read that the Delos was created to afford  similar performance  of  the Ethos but with 5mm more eye relief over the 15mm Ethos.

I wear glasses only for driving and fishing,  removing them for most of my other visual activities. you just can't have everything these days!

Some years ago a naughty but nice man called Linton Guise stayed at my place and brought with him a 100 deg TeleVue Ethos when they were newly released.

I knew I would have to buy one.

I did eventually buy one - second hand.

The only person who will ever sell it will be my widow.

Olly

Do I read between the lines and wonder if you buy another that may be sooner rather than later :grin: .

They are rather good though.

Alan

Thanks lowjiber, an interesting definition and direct answer to my initial question. I was tempted to try to save for 82deg but after only ever looking through 50deg eyepieces im sure i will appreciate a less than perfect 70.

Archived