Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Evostar 80 ED DS Pro v Skywatcher Startravel 150

+1 for ed80 from me too for DSO at least. If your interest is plants then the 150 might be a better option but you will have some chromatic aberration to contend with.

The one thing I would add though is that you need to give as much (if not more) consideration to the mount as the scope.

Happy viewing (and photographing)

thanks guys forgot to mention i already have the heq5 mount

ED80 for imaging , ST150 for visual , or better the EvoStar150.

so is the evostar 150 a mix of both then steve cheers and mainly used for imaging,with a bit of visual

The evostar is an F8 as oppose the ST150 at F5 which is slower, so will be more forgiving for visual work although a little slower for imaging, something of an allrounder if you intend using for both.

so would the st150 be better for imaging then sorry slightly confused :embarrassed:

The ST150 will need less exposure time than the EVO150 but will have worse chromatic aberration so it's probably 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

The EVO80PRO is apochromatic so it will have better colour correction than either of the others but the 80mm aperture is on the small side for visual use.

Unfortunately there is no right answer which is why many people have multiple scopes.

Archived