Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Saturn nebula

nytecam

Happy Boxing Day everyone ;-)

Bit late in the year to target the Saturn Nebula NGC 7009 in Aquarius but here's my fair shot from Christmas Eve low in the SW over neighbour's rooftops after bagging Neptune and Triton nearby !   The "Saturn"  does look like its real planetary namesake with two faint "anse" or edge-on rings.

N7009 was discovered by William Herschel in 1782 from his house in Datchet near Windsor Castle the year after his discovery of Uranus.  We passed near Datchet on Wednesday and I must return to see if I can get a picture of his house !

Happy New Year Everyone..

Nytecam

post-21003-0-63205600-1451128312.jpg

Thanks guys for the comments and likes ;-)

Very nice...I wonder what the skies are like around Windsor now!  

A lot better than mine 9miles from London's Picadilly Circus  :-0

Here's a slightly longer exposure that shows the anse better but swamps the PN core for a near perfect "Saturn" view ;-)

Nytecam

post-21003-0-16720200-1451212044.jpg

I seem to recall that the place that William Herschel set up when he moved to the home counties was at Slough. It's now gone and has been replaced by a modern office building that bears the name Observatory House in memory of Herschel's occupancy. The computer company ICL used to be based there and I went to a few meetings there back in the 1990's when I was involved in IT projects. I seem to recall some sort of exhibition on the astronomical history of the site and the 40 inch telescope (than the largest in the world) housed in an atrium within the modern building but I don't know if that is still there or whether it's open to the public.

Archived