Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Viewing Comfort

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum.

I got a telescope last February, its inexpensive but it was my first time!

I set it up and managed to see the moons of Jupiter and the moon etc.

My problem is comfort. I find myself bent double (reflector scope, Celestron) and after about 10 minutes my back is knackered or my chest hurts.

Ok so I may be out of shape at the ripe old age of 39 (Cough) but to be fair, I never really thought about comfort when buying a scope.

So my ideas of just looking through a lens (regardless of magnification) at the wonders of the sky have been scuppered.

I set it up tonight for the first time since Feb and I saw a great image of the moon. Still, within 15 minutes Im shattered.

Also, my eye pressing against the eyepiece causes the scope to shake a little so I have to almost hold my breath to view for any length of time.

Once comfy (if comfort comes by pure luck and chance) the earth rotation causes me to need to step back and readjust at which point Im back to square one.

Ok, so I am not here whinging but I never thought looking through a scope so be so uncomfortable.

I thought about getting a camera for the lens but surely this is not the only answer?

How do you guys do it? Do you all take zumba lessons at the weekend to stay in shape?

I want to view the sku without it wearing me out.

If  I thought I could tackle this I would invest in a better scope.

Thanks Everyone for putting up with my moans and groans.

G

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum.

I got a telescope last February, its inexpensive but it was my first time!

I set it up and managed to see the moons of Jupiter and the moon etc.

My problem is comfort. I find myself bent double (reflector scope, Celestron) and after about 10 minutes my back is knackered or my chest hurts.

Ok so I may be out of shape at the ripe old age of 39 (Cough) but to be fair, I never really thought about comfort when buying a scope.

So my ideas of just looking through a lens (regardless of magnification) at the wonders of the sky have been scuppered.

I set it up tonight for the first time since Feb and I saw a great image of the moon. Still, within 15 minutes Im shattered.

Also, my eye pressing against the eyepiece causes the scope to shake a little so I have to almost hold my breath to view for any length of time.

Once comfy (if comfort comes by pure luck and chance) the earth rotation causes me to need to step back and readjust at which point Im back to square one.

Ok, so I am not here whinging but I never thought looking through a scope so be so uncomfortable.

I thought about getting a camera for the lens but surely this is not the only answer?

How do you guys do it? Do you all take zumba lessons at the weekend to stay in shape?

I want to view the sku without it wearing me out.

If  I thought I could tackle this I would invest in a better scope.

Thanks Everyone for putting up with my moans and groans.

G

I think some poeople have observing chairs (similar to ironing chairs) but i must say I share your experiances with discomfort while observing. Last time I went to find andromeda (and failed despite finding M33) it was at the zenith and trying to find it in my red dot finder meant I was crouched on the ground with my head looking straight upwards to point the scope in the right place. It's possible a GoTo would help with that but it's too expensive for me and removes part of the fun for others.

I also share your issues with wobbling scopes, I like to observe the moon with my 10mm EP and 2x barlow due to the fact it lands me with such a low exit pupil I can observe without glasses, but the eye relief with the 10m plossl is poor and requires me to have my eye right up to the EP which causes the scope to wobble...

I've often found myself quite unbalanced and dizzy at observing sites (possibly because it's dark so I can't see so well in addition to me constantly moving about and looking up and down etc.)

+1 for a chair. I just grab whichever garden furniture is to hand.

Also get a Telrad and a Right Angle Corrected Image (RACI) finder. 5 secs with the Telrad a find the right area. Then a nice seated comfortable star hop using the Raci.

By astromomy standards, both items are pretty cheap!!!

Paul

+1 for a chair. Have a look here for a DIY one, admittedly the builder in this thread is very experienced and good, but you can use the same principle to make you're own.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/92462-diy-folding-observing-chair-w-plans/

Here is one I made earlier, as you can see it is no where near as aesthetically pleasing as Ad Astra's, but it works :grin:

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/224757-oh-the-joy-of-sitting-down-while-observing/?hl=%2Bobserving+%2Bchair#entry2419218

As you will have gathered most of us use a chair when observing. You can get an ironing chair or a drummers seat from Amazon and they are relatively inexpensive. What kind of finder do you have? I had to replace my straight through one with a RACI to save my poor back and as stated above it works very well in conjunction with a Telrad or Rigel finder.

As you will have gathered most of us use a chair when observing. You can get an ironing chair or a drummers seat from Amazon and they are relatively inexpensive. What kind of finder do you have? I had to replace my straight through one with a RACI to save my poor back and as stated above it works very well in conjunction with a Telrad or Rigel finder.

And I thought I had problems with back, neck and thigh muscles (I'm 82). So far I've gotten an RACI finder because Celestrons RDF is not in any position for me to see and I have had cataract surgery in both eyes so an RDF is out of the question (even if I could comfortably squat down). I've seen a Telrad in use and it works for me beautifully BUT here again I have to squat of bend over at an uncomfortable posture.

I've heard that there is a dew thingie made for the Telrad that can also be used as a right angle viewer, but I'm reluctant to go to the expenditure for them since I haven't heard from someone who has one of them.

My solution is manifold: Laptop couputer (I have it already so no expense there) a telescope controller software (that is downloaded also), RS232 cable to connect the computer to the Celestron goto hand held controller, my android phone alrady has Skeye loaded and, of course, some sort of table and chair. OH, and an Orian Starshoot G3 so I don't have to kill my back and legs standing up.

All those things are needed since I am considerably feebler (82 going on 18) and because to do any star gazing I have to go away from home (my back yard is all trees and little sky).

Hey everyone!

Wow! So many people share my experiences with discomfort! 

Sorry for my typo's, I typed out my plea for help (and sympathy) before going to work this evening.

I've not followed all the links yet, I have just come back, but its great to know I am not on my own with this. I thought I was doing something wrong or perhaps I just hadn't set it up properly. Or perhaps I had bought the wrong type of scope.

I honestly never thought that looking through a viewfinder would be so hard on the body and it really did throw a big bucket of water on my enthusiasm at the time (hence its been gathering dust for the past year).

These winter nights are absolutely brilliant for looking up at the sky so I had to dig it out tonight and try again. 

I'm off work now for the festive period so I will check out all your suggestions in the morning, starting with chairs.

Its not so cold at the moment but it was freezing last February when I set it up, whats the best way to stay warm while standing still? Multiple layers of clothing seems like the obvious answer but do any of you have any tips on this?

thanks again for all the suggestions, I didn't expect so many people to reply. 

All the best.

G

A drummer's stool is also said to work nicely for use at the telescope. Whatever you get, find one with front-legs that don't end up straight. They should be angled across the ground (if observing on a lawn or such) so they won't sink - throwing it off-balance. Something like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=observing-chair+for+telescopes&tbm=isch&imgil=8rFk-M0XTOgWtM%253A%253BlgOBr1pN3CmQyM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.wexphotographic.com%25252Fbuy-sky-watcher-anti-tip-observing-chair%25252Fp1529203&source=iu&pf=m&fir=8rFk-M0XTOgWtM%253A%252ClgOBr1pN3CmQyM%252C_&biw=1600&bih=766&usg=__zi_kh9TGSKXFCsHz7la6UyNXqAQ%3D&ved=0ahUKEwjPs4fb6evJAhUIbRQKHcUCAzAQyjcIVg&ei=Gll3Vs--M4jaUcWFjIAD#imgrc=8rFk-M0XTOgWtM%3A&usg=__zi_kh9TGSKXFCsHz7la6UyNXqAQ%3D

As you had problems with the scope wobbling, there are anti-vibration pads available. Here's one type from Orion-USA:

http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Mount-Tripod-Accessories/Orion-RockStable-Anti-Vibration-Pads-for-Telescope-Mounts/c/2/sc/38/p/5155.uts

I would shop around for a better price. Those are outrageous! I made my own from Sorbothane® pads I found on Amazon - for cheap. I've had commercial one's marketed for astronomy use. As soon as you put the word 'astro' in front of an article - the price doubles! :eek::p My home-brew set work as well, if not better. They are good if you observe on a wooden deck or similar. The wobble from a heavy lorry going by is reduced to under a second.

I suffer from arthritis and neuropathy. So I can emphathize with you.

Dave

Another +1 for a chair. Luckily I just happened to have an old drummer's stool and so far I've found it has enough vertical adjustment for use with my dob at any angle.

As for keeping warm, multiple layers definitely help. Good quality shoes with chunky soles to insulate you from the ground, two pairs of socks seem to help in the event that the inside of the shoes get a little damp with the boundary between the two somehow preventing water being absorbed by the inner pair. Tracksuit bottoms under jeans work quite well on the legs and there's a good chance that you'll have both of those if you dig far enough into your wardrobe. The torso I haven't cracked yet for extended sessions even with clothing that I would be fine with during a winter day. Good quality hat, gloves and scarf are of course needed (although I use a snood type thing in place of a traditional scarf as it can be pulled up over nose and mouth and to join with the hat.)

Archived