Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star of Bethlehem, Crewkerne AS, Dec 16

I heard somewhere - probably a tv program - that it was a conjunction of 2 planets (Jupiter and Saturn), and some bright star or supernova. Apparently the star and planet movements were projected back to the day scientifically from current positions, orbits, and Earth rotation etc.... :) 

• 11 months later...

Don't know if you've had the chance to do this, but I'd be interested in it.

I notice that the latest posts to mention the * of a town in the middle east beginning with B has been closed as being religious. I totally agree with not having politics or religion on the forums, but the topic referred to has often been the subject of articles in well known astronomy magazines. Wanting to know if there are any scientific explanations for the event doesn't in my view constitute promoting religion. What next - will we not be allowed to wish one another a Happy Christmas? It is after all based on a religious holiday...

Eric.

There's a difference between a scientific explanation and one containing a " Significant religious element " . The former could certainly be allowed but the latter would almost certainly create more problems than it solves and is by definition against the CoC. Some topics create so much additional work for the moderation team that it's ludicrous. Sometimes (and this is my own personal view) it's better to simply not allow a subject once it gets into the broad territory of religion or politics despite the moaning of one or two members. Promoting religion is most definitely banned under the CoC but so is discussing religion or politics and these types of subject matter always seems to draw out the worst in people. Steve's approach I think is good above. 

Just to be clear, the talk itself is astronomical/historical/cultural/evidential and not at all religious in nature, although it obviously has to recognise and discuss what the religious underpinning is. However, discussion of the talk (which is essentially what I was asked to do above) inevitably tends to develop a significant religious element. Given the CoC, and my experience of how these things can degenerate on line, I am simply not going there. 

A moderator decided  to close my more recent announcement of this talk for further discussion. Eric, the mods here have a darned difficult job and have to take in considerations that most of us don't even notice. The consequence is an outstanding astronomy forum. Given what I have seen elsewhere, I would much rather they erred on the side of caution.

I hope that clarifies things. Also, I doubt this is the appropriate place to discuss the CoC or moderator decisions :icon_biggrin: and I apologise if I have strayed in that regard.

Hi Steve,

I closed the other thread as it was generating religious discussion which was hidden. Regardless of the exact nature of your talk, I suspect this thread will head down that route so I will lock this one too.

The purpose of the your OP has been which is to communicate the talk has been achieved, so hopefully all is well.

Thanks all.

Stu

• Stu locked this topic
2 hours ago, ejp1684 said:

Don't know if you've had the chance to do this, but I'd be interested in it.

I notice that the latest posts to mention the * of a town in the middle east beginning with B has been closed as being religious. I totally agree with not having politics or religion on the forums, but the topic referred to has often been the subject of articles in well known astronomy magazines. Wanting to know if there are any scientific explanations for the event doesn't in my view constitute promoting religion. What next - will we not be allowed to wish one another a Happy Christmas? It is after all based on a religious holiday...

Eric.

Until someone says "God did it". believe me when I say that the mod/admin team have had to deal with such topics not once or twice, but hundreds of times and as such have a fair grasp as to which way things are more than likely to turn. As for the "*", We are quite happy to talk about stars here at sgl :D

Eric, as Scott says, the thread was closed not necessarily because of what had been said, more the inevitability of where it would go.

Steve's talk has been promoted, so that's all there is to say.

Oh, other than Happy Christmas ?

Archived