NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just a quickly.....

Andy78

I've recently bought myself a ST102 on EQ1. Great little scope, I love it!!!! But I'm wondering if to bu a new mount for it whilst I'm at home in the garden! So.... Would an EQ5 be a little over kill fir such a small scope?????

Thanks in advance.... Andy

Unless you specifically want an Equatorial mount, then an AZ3 is a sturdy stand, with good slow motion control. I use it as my primary stand for my ST120 refractor and have had no problems with it as yet. Like happy-Kat said you can pick them up quite cheaply too.

As you have discovered the mount is almost more important than the scope!  A good scope that is under-mounted is an absolute pain to use.  The EQ5 will be more than adequate for your ST102 and will be man enough to allow you to upgrade your scope in the future.

*  A good rule of thumb is to look at the ads for scopes in the various astronomy magazines - the suppliers often use the smallest (=lightest and flimsiest) mount that they can get away with for the telescope tube shown.  They do this to keep the prices to a minimum.  So you will see, for example, a 200P on an EQ5 - it works but only just!!

I have my ST102 on my HEQ5, and whilst it is a little OTT. It is rock solid :)

Cheers

Dinsdale

Same here, it doesn't notice the little frac. You'll have to buy a dovetail but if you're considering going up to a ST or evostar 120 as I think you've mentioned elsewhere you'll be reasonably prepared.

Thanks to all!!!

Yeah, I would love to get a Evo 120 in the future. It was the misses that said that I could do with a more sturdy mount so I had a look about and the EQ5 just stands out to me, with the plan of the 120 thrown in!!!! I xab get the EQ5 from RVO for£230. It won't be till the end of January or early February cos I'm getting married on 7th January!! But after that, and a weekend in Edinburgh, then she said I can get one as a late birthday gift cos that's on the 8th January!!!! I have seen a alt.az mount on eBay, a TS Optics one for £210 including postage, but I like the EQ, I sold my dob cos I couldn't get to grips with its motion, but an EQ just feels right for me. So the EQ5 its!!!

Once again, thanks to all

Thanks to all!!!

Yeah, I would love to get a Evo 120 in the future. It was the misses that said that I could do with a more sturdy mount so I had a look about and the EQ5 just stands out to me, with the plan of the 120 thrown in!!!! I xab get the EQ5 from RVO for£230. It won't be till the end of January or early February cos I'm getting married on 7th January!! But after that, and a weekend in Edinburgh, then she said I can get one as a late birthday gift cos that's on the 8th January!!!! I have seen a alt.az mount on eBay, a TS Optics one for £210 including postage, but I like the EQ, I sold my dob cos I couldn't get to grips with its motion, but an EQ just feels right for me. So the EQ5 its!!!

Once again, thanks to all

That would be a good move. I use my Evo 120 on a eq3-2 and a Neq6. Obviously it's steadier on the 6 but I still bet a lot of enjoyment on the 3-2.

Happy viewing

Archived