Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My 2nd Try at Jupiter

JohnSadlerAstro

Hi guys,

Here's the result of this mornings clear skies--any comments/advice welcome. The first shot was taken to help me focus using a Bahtinov mask, but it seemed quite good, so I processed that as well as the colour shot. I think I've caught the Red Spot.

Taken with:

Skywatcher Explorer 130 with RA drive

Orion Starshoot Solar Imager 4

2*Barlow

John

post-47504-0-15017000-1447833266.png

post-47504-0-20880800-1447833336.png

Thanks!

Yes, I use Registax for stacking my images. I reckon I can probably increase the magnification to get clearer shots, as the live video stream was showing up the cloud bands very clearly. Perhaps a 3*Barlow? I think that my images are a little bit better than last time's lot, here they are, Jupiter is noticeably larger on my latest lot. This is a crop of one of them.

12 Oct 2015

John

Nicely done. Having just seen Jupiter in detail for the first time this morning, I'm really enjoying your images which are a good match to what I saw. It's nice to see natural looking images. From what I recall, the colour of your first image is closer to what I saw, but I appreciate all scopes are different, as are cameras/eyeballs! Did you capture an image of the moons? I thought they were close enough that they would have been in the shot?

Nicely done. Having just seen Jupiter in detail for the first time this morning, I'm really enjoying your images which are a good match to what I saw. It's nice to see natural looking images. From what I recall, the colour of your first image is closer to what I saw, but I appreciate all scopes are different, as are cameras/eyeballs! Did you capture an image of the moons? I thought they were close enough that they would have been in the shot?

Thanks,

Although I'd have like to capture the moons, the sun was almost rising by the time I realized it was clear outside, so I was a little bit too late to catch them. The other problem is that if I set the expo. long enough to capture the moons, the planet's disk is overexposed-I guess that's where taking 2 separate captures comes in, 1 for the moons, and the other for the planet?

Here's a shot of mine that shows 3 of the moons, but with no detail on the disk.

post-47504-0-72975400-1448053131_thumb.p

Thanks,

Although I'd have like to capture the moons, the sun was almost rising by the time I realized it was clear outside, so I was a little bit too late to catch them. The other problem is that if I set the expo. long enough to capture the moons, the planet's disk is overexposed-I guess that's where taking 2 separate captures comes in, 1 for the moons, and the other for the planet?

Thanks for the reply. I'm kicking myself now that you've explained it. Makes complete sense! Keep up the good work :-)

Archived