SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What the heck was that !

During the night I was half asleep due to the wind. My wife and I both witnessed a searing bright light - we had the curtains closed and our eyes closed and it was still painful - it probably lasted between 2 and 3 seconds.

A short time later the while house was violently shaken by a single shock wave.

Being half asleep I dont know the time gap between the light and the shock wave nor what time it occurred.

It definitely wasn't thunder and lightning - the light was too long in duration and the sound wave was a single sharp pulse.

I am near Oban, Scotland

Anyone else see or hear anything?

Anyone know where to look for further info?

There are a few meteor guys in Scotland who monitor the skies at night with video cameras. If the weather was clear last night, someone may have caught it if there cam was facing the right way. I'm waiting for reports to come I when they check their files.

A bright, intense light followed by a very loud shock wave?

I'm calling a relatively close lightening strike. The length of the strike will be hard to judge due to your eyes being dark adapted....A short bright flash will swamp the photoreceptor. The thunder clap doesn't have to long and rolling...close strikes can be a single very loud bang.

Given the current stormy weather, I would think that a lightening strike is far more likely than a superbright fireball exploding. Especially if there are no reports from the many automated meteor watchers.

So with a little bit of sleuthing, I think I may have solved this mystery. It appears that at 6.45am on the morning in question, a lightning strike did occur just NE of Oban. It was very bright and was followed by a large clap of thunder. I deduce that it was a fierce enough lightning strike that it awoke Skipper Billy and the thunder clap that followed, shook his house and blew his bedsocks off.

A picture tells the story. The yellow dot is the offending strike.

post-25425-0-81066800-1447274772.jpg

Archived