NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yay, Sun!

JB80

The seeing this morning was too good to let pass so for the first time in 6 weeks I managed a quick session!

All in all not too bad but AS!2 still can't seem to define the spicules yet Registax can, that said the reg version is not in my opinion as good for surface detail.

Never mind, swings and roundabouts. :D

22407599247_be9898c238_b.jpg

22407607767_d88ee290b1_o.jpg

22204840633_a89974fcd8_o.jpg

Registax version

22637995960_8c1ce16b2c_o.jpg

Now this one is one taken with the x2 Barlow, problem is out run out of inward focus(I think), all I really need is another couple of small turns and it would be spot on. This is disappointing as the new barlow is infinitely better than my old skywatcher one.

Any ideas if how I can rectify the focus issue?

22637997030_c86d790cff_o.jpg

Nice shots. Regarding AS!2 and spicules: I regularly manage to get them (although it is very seeing dependent) with AS!2. I get the impression my results are better if I place loads of alignment points in a grid (size 25-35 pixels typically), and set the minimum brightness to about 20-25 (low enough to incorporate prom detail, but high enough not to include background). That generally works well for me

Thanks all! :)

I will try your suggestion Michael next time, I generally have larger boxes so maybe reducing them and bunching them up will help.

Registax and AS!2 respond very differently to using large numbers of alignment points (APs). If you use lots of APs Registax slows down to a crawl, whereas AS!2 seems to pick up speed. I always use automatic placement in a grid in AS!2, as I am too lazy to set them myself

It certainly feels like it, it was pretty bad the whole time and even when it was semi clear the jet stream was parked above us. I probably could of forced the issue a few times but nothing like now where the mornings are actually inviting you to go out.

It seems that finally we are getting the cooler more stable air for winter again.

Archived