Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New and looking to buy

Hi, I'm sure you get these questions all the time, so I'm sorry if this topic is a little stale. I'm wanting to get my first telescope as my partner and I have moved to a house with little light pollution (joys of living in Cornwall I guess :-)). I like the idea of getting a reflector. My windows in the house have a very poor view so I'm guessing I would need a tripod scope for the garden (to be honest I think I would prefer that). Unfortunately I don't have a lot of spare income so can only afford up to about £200. I have found these so far:

Celestron power seeker 127 EQ.

Feldstein 130 EQ astromaster.

Skywatcher explorer 130M Newtonion.

Are any of these any good, or does anyone have any suggestions.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this.

I'd agree with the 150mm dob... Or even a second hand 200mm dob should be in budget..  Both very popular choices!

The issue with the tripod scopes you have looked at would be a under performing mount, leading to vibration and frustration.. the dobs have a sturdy but simple mount so more money goes in to the important stuff like optics.  You also have a stable eyepiece location on a dob, with a mounted option you can be left with a eyepiece position a contortionist wouldn't thank you for, so you end up adjusting the telescope in its tube rings so you can get to the eyepiece... 

Welcome to the forum too BTW.

Ta

Fozzie

Yes I agree with all the above comments, having used a very nice reflector on a manual EQ Mount I know how difficult it is to find and follow a moving target.  A dobsonian however is so much easier and as stated they are a decent price as the money goes into the optics and not the simple mount.

Carole 

Archived