Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Wide-field EP 30-40mm

Highburymark

Here's my current work in progress first team case - the rest of the squad is made up of (still often used) Meade and Celestron plossls. Despite the arrival of the Leica zoom, I have no intention of getting rid of other eyepieces. Pentax zoom is my permanent solar EP - superb during the day, not so clever at night. Now what I need is a decent 32-40mm widefield EP for my Equinox 80.

post-42910-0-44794900-1446332551_thumb.j

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice indeed. May I recommend the Nagler 31T5 "Panzerfaust" for the wide field place. Absolutely stunning in my 80mm F/6 triplet

Thanks Michael. I've considered the Nagler 31 several times. The obvious drawback is the weight - twice as heavy as the Leica zoom if retailers' data is to be believed. I need an eyepiece that won't overpower an 80EDon a photo tripod. Are there any lighter EPs above 30mm focal length that would offer similar quality in an F6 refractor?

what about a Moonfish 30mm 80 degree. Much less expensive than a Nagler, relatively light and at least its black  :grin:

fwiw I have one and use it in my 12" dob, views are excellent although they do go a little soft around the edges even with a Baader MPCC fitted but I think I paid £70 for it so bang for buck it was hard to beat.

Find a review for it from sky at night here halfway down http://moonfishgroup.com/catalog/index.php?currency=GBP&language=en

HTH

Steve

what about a Moonfish 30mm 80 degree. Much less expensive than a Nagler, relatively light and at least its black  :grin:

fwiw I have one and use it in my 12" dob, views are excellent although they do go a little soft around the edges even with a Baader MPCC fitted but I think I paid £70 for it so bang for buck it was hard to beat.

Find a review for it from sky at night here halfway down http://moonfishgroup.com/catalog/index.php?currency=GBP&language=en

HTH

Steve

Looks like a real contender Steve - thanks for the suggestion.

I'd suggest 24 panoptic. Whilst not max field it gives about 3.5 degrees (?) which is plenty IMHO.

There is a 24 Panoptic already in there Shane. Just looks a bit modest next to the Delos, but a wonderful eyepiece

You could go for a 40mm TMB Paragon, or its clone, the SkyWatcher Aero 40mm. Very good, surprisingly light.

HTH

Steve

On the subject of wide field 30+mm eyepieces, does anyone have any experience of Baader Hyperion Aspherics? Or do they also struggle in faster scopes like the standard Hyperions?

Then I guess there's also the 35mm Panoptic. Hardly slimline but 11oz less than the Nagler 31.

On the subject of wide field 30+mm eyepieces, does anyone have any experience of Baader Hyperion Aspherics? Or do they also struggle in faster scopes like the standard Hyperions?

Then I guess there's also the 35mm Panoptic. Hardly slimline but 11oz less than the Nagler 31.

I had the 31mm Hyperion Aspheric and was rather dissapointed with it. The optical design is different to the Hyperions but it did show quite a bit of astigmatism even in my F/7.5 refractor.

OK - won't pursue the Aspheric idea. The TMB Paragon looks interesting. It's listed as discontinued in Bill Paolini's eyepiece book, but still available new from Teleskop Express in Germany for 175euros.

The TMB Paragon has not been in production for quite a while now. Skywatcher Aero ED eyepieces share the same optics though.

I noticed this Sky's the Limit Moonfish Clone and thought it might be of interest?

This Astromart review includes the 40mm TMB Paragon and one of the 30mm / 80 degree clones:

http://www.astromart.com/reviews/article.asp?article_id=624

The Orion Optiluxe also included in the review was quite a nice Japanese made eyepiece range but still showed quite a bit of astigmatism as the scope got faster than around F/7 or so. The Meade Q70 range is similar optically to the many 26-32-38 SWA branded ranges around. Possibly even the same optics as the Skywatcher PanaView.

Some further reading, this time at the 30mm focal length. The mighty Nagler 31 takes on the University Optics Konig 32mm and the Meade QX 30mm:

http://www.astromart.com/reviews/article.asp?article_id=564

The UO Konig is a Japanese made version of the 30mm / 80 degree eyepiece (I used to have the original of these, the Widescan III 30mm / 84 degree). The Meade QX series in it's 26mm form is included as the stock eyepiece with Meade Lightbridge dobsonians. It does not do fast scopes any favours though !

Perhaps a Mod should split all these posts off into a new thread as we appear to have hijacked the eyepiece case discussion?

Thats a good point Derek :smiley:

I've just got to remember how to do that !. :rolleyes2:

I had the 34mm Meade SWA and that was a very good eyepiece but not quite as good as the 35mm Panoptic, though that was in an F5.26 scope. In your slower scope though I feel sure it would please you and as the ExSc 34mm or Maxvision 34mm are the same you could save a good few quid. Personally though with TeleVue already in your cooking pot i would go for the black and green.

Alan

Archived