Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New mosaic method - E Veil

perfrej

Hi all,

I am experimenting with the following:
  1. Shoot LOTS of data
  2. Generate a starfield in PI, covering a little more than the mosaic area
  3. Pre-process (BIAS, flats) your subs
  4. Register all subs against the starfield - gives you large subs with black where there is no data
  5. Integrate everything as is with averaged sigma rejection (all panels in the same stack, that is)
I currently have a too few subs, but the results are promising. No stitching, no extra work. You also get hte benefit of a good projection, something you don't get when registering subs in each panel against each other and then stitching the panel stacks together manually. To understand this, imagine a mosaic of four wide angle shots with your daytime camera placed next to each other. 
Here is the progress (mostly un-processed) so far... I'll stretch it properly and pull the faint stuff out when I have 40 of each panel - which will have to be next year as it is dipping in the west kind of early now... Still, you never know; I do get some data every night now too.
Data so far:
Upper right: 16 x Ha, 10 x O3
Lower right: 10 x Ha, 11 x O3
Upper left: 21 x Ha, 16 x O3
Lower left: 13 x Ha, 13 x O3
TEC-140, QSI-683, Astrodon filters, 10Micron GM2000HPS II.
All subs are 15 minutes and unguided.
Full resolution here
Crop showing the central overlap region here. In this crop, you can see that the right half has fewer subs than the left. From separate experiments it appears that the backgrounds will even out by themselves at about 20-25 subs, all thanks to PI:s great sigma rejection stacking.
vm-test-small.jpg

All the best,

Per

I am experimenting with the following:

1) Shoot LOTS of data

2) Generate a starfield in PI, covering a little more than the mosaic area

3) Pre-process (BIAS, flats) your subs

4) Register all subs against the starfield - gives you large subs with black where there is no data

5) Integrate everything as is with averaged sigma rejection

I currently have a too few subs, but the results are promising. No stitching, no extra work. You also get hte benefit of a good projection, something you don't get when registering subs against each other and then stitching it together manually.

Here is the progress (mostly un-processed) so far... I'll stretch it properly and pull the faint stuff out when I have 40 of each panel - which will have to be next year...

If you think that, on your next visit, I will not be bending your ear on how to align images to a PI starfield then you are mistaken, and since you dislike mistakes...  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

I've tried an assortment of methods for aligning panels to a template. This sounds as if it is the right one. I'll buy the beers...

Olly

Archived