Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Startravel 102mm AZ refractor

Just bagged a great deal on this scope on Amazon. Got the alt AZ stand too included for less than I could get the optical tube only from most places. Hope the extra 32mm of lighgathering power from my 70mm Celestron refractor gives some better deep sky views. Anyone got any good experience with this size scope at all, and how good the views are etc?

I have two of these set up as a binoscope. The image definition is very good although chromatic aberration limits the higher magnification. For low power wide angle views of DSO's they are exceptionally good value. I think you will find it to be a significant step up from your 70mm.   :smiley:

Thanks Peter. That's what I'm hoping too. I know chromatic aberration is an issue with most of the low end refractors, but seriously I can live with that rather than having to shell out nearly 3 or 4 times as much cash on the same size scope to try to reduce it. I have a Celestron Omni 32mm EP which works fine on my 70mm scope for wide field views, so hopefully it should produce much better results too on the new scope.

The step from 70 to 102mm is really significant: about twice the light-gathering power. Congratulations on your deal!

Thanks Supernova. I knew the light gathering power of a refractor wasn't linear, but didn't think it would be nearly twice as much as my 70mm scope. In that case I will have a whole new sky open up before my eyes hopefully.

Very nice, I have the 80mm and very much enjoy using it. You will I think the overall scope so much better made and sturdy.

Thanks happy-Kat. I've always heard good things about Skywatcher scopes, so if your happy with your 80mm I will most likely be over the moon (literally) with my new scope. Cheers!

Thanks Supernova. I knew the light gathering power of a refractor wasn't linear, but didn't think it would be nearly twice as much as my 70mm scope. In that case I will have a whole new sky open up before my eyes hopefully.

Sorry Michael. Still waking up, and mistook your lounge rating for your user name. Ooops! Me thinks I should have gone to Specsavers! Hehe!

I have had a ST102 from the beginning of my astronomy hobby.

Yes there is some CA, yes it can be a lot on some objects, but this scope is a keeper in my opinion. Bung a fringe killer type filter in the diagonal and it will improve the CA slightly.

If iy was the only scope i could ever have there would still be plenty to see and do with it.

Just seen that you are located in my home county of East Yorkshire, i used to live in Beverley until last year when i moved down to southern softie land :-)

Enjoy your new purchase

Light gathering area is PI * r2 so it goes up by the square of the radius

The 70mm has an area of 3848mm2

The 102mm has an area of 8171mm2 so over double.

I use 100mm class refractors (and smaller) a lot and under a dark sky it is amazing what you can see. The achro's strengths won't be high power due to CA, but with a widefield eyepiece at low and medium powers CA will barely be an issue and the views will be lovely.

Thats a great catch!

I've spent many a happy hour using the Star travel 102, it is a wonderful little refractor and a terrific RFT. A friend of mine bought one in early 2004 when Mars was a mere 4.8 arc seconds and low in the west. I stuck my 3X TV Barlow in the little F5 scope along with a high power eyepiece. The view of Mars was really excellent considering the scope was not designed as a planetary scope. Syrtis Major and sinus sabaeus, along with Hellas and a tiny polar cap were all easily seen. Though some may think it's silly to test such a scope in that way, it proved the little 102 was quite a good scope optically. And, although the consensus of opinion is that Mars cannot be observed effectively when it is smaller than 10 arc seconds, that too was proved to be a nonsense by a telescope that really shouldn't have been able to perform at that level.

I suppose the lesson is that we should put aside popular opinion and just enjoy our scopes, whatever they may be, as they will all resolve better and see deeper than theory suggests, given the chance.

Mike

Hmmm......not looking good. When I ordered the scope from Amazon it was listed as the 102mm scope, yet when I got an email from the company selling it they listed the scope as the 80mm version, the nest model down, not the 102mm. The scope should arrive tomorrow, and if that is the case that I get the 80mm scope instead, I'll either want a full refund, or get them to send out the correct scope That I ordered.

I'll update this tomorrow when I know which actual scope I get.

OK, as an extra special own birthday come Christmas gift to myself I've bitten the bullet and gone for even more light gathering power with a Skwatcher Startravel 120 OTA. Got from Rother Valley Optics, and should arrive on Monday. Only downside is I am away for work next week and won't get a chance to test it out till I return home next Thursday. So I'm hoping by then we actually get some clear skies for some observations! Here's hoping!

What are you mounting it on?

I have quite a sturdy Celestron Equatorial mount that it should be OK on to observe with. I reall want a good Alt AZ stand as I am not a big fan of the equatorial mount, but that will have to be next years self birthday/Christmas gift to myself! Hehe!

Archived