Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PST- September 20th

PaulB

Good morning,

Activity is still high on our Star. The large filament is still visible, though it appears to have shrunk. Numerous prominences are also visible around the Eastern limb.

AR 2419-2418 and 2415 are active and visible with associated plage. The filaments visible from these spots, remind me of tadpoles.

I wonder whether I have caught an M class flare that is reportedly taking place.

Quote from Spaceweather.

X-ray Solar Flares

6-hr max: M1 0503 UT Sep20 

24-hr: M1 0503 UT Sep20

There is a bright light, on the North-Eastern limb. It is visible visually, and in this picture. 

Colour, has always been an issue with me. I like Mono images, but sometimes a little colour helps to enhance surface detail.

I would like to know what colour our star really is. I know it is an M Class Yellow Dwarf. But- Would it appear yellow to our eye's?

post-3627-0-25507100-1442763019_thumb.jp

Excellent shot :) :) :) 

No, I don't think you saw the M class flare, it says it was 06:03 BST and by the annotation on your image you took it at 10am, it will be well over by that point. Usually the flare intensifies to a maximum over a period of 10 minutes and then gradually recedes over the next 50-60 minutes. The new active region is very halpha bright on the limb so was probably still crackling away with minor activity  :)

Alexandra

Archived