Dark Nebulae in Vulpecula

Knight of Clear Skies

21410395086_1fb5d2d936_b.jpg

Another image from last week. After failing to find Sh2-91 (too dim or I got lost, not sure which) I simply trawled my way down the Milky Way until I found something interesting. After plate solving it turns out I was looking at part of Vulpecula. The Coathanger is on the right of frame but I haven't identified the nebulae yet.

Shot with my 135mm SMC Takumar lens fitted with a step-down ring as a front aperture mask, giving nice round stars to the corners at f3.4. Field of view is about 9 by 6 degrees. 22x120 second subs, dark bias but no darks. Took flats but they left the image distorted at the bottom when I tried to apply them, so used StarTools to reduce vignetting.

21436405805_87305f8a28_c.jpg

Would welcome any feedback. The colours are not quite what I'd like but I'm not sure how to get there.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a simple and cheap way of improving the image. What size step-down ring would you recommend? I have a 135mm tokina that looks as if it has a 55mm filter-thread. I've seen 55-52, 55-49, 55-46 & 55-37, so that is quite a variety to choose from.

Thanks.

[Nice picture, by the way :) ]

Looks like a simple and cheap way of improving the image. What size step-down ring would you recommend? I have a 135mm tokina that looks as if it has a 55mm filter-thread. I've seen 55-52, 55-49, 55-46 & 55-37, so that is quite a variety to choose from.

Thanks.

most lenses get better around F4 so for your 135mm you would need a ring of 135/4 which is 33.75mm so anything close to that would be ok

Alan

Thanks.

It will depend on your lens, the easiest way to test is to take some test exposures at different aperture settings and check the corners. I'd advise checking all corners, I don't think crop DSLR sensors are mounted in the middle of the image circle, probably for artistic reasons. The top corners seem to be worse than the bottom ones, which has caught me out a couple times. I'm using a 58mm-37mm ring to take my SMC Takumar from f2.5 to f3.4.

Glad you like the image.

Archived