NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Are all these the same

bomberbaz

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-lightwave-6mm-ler-planetary-eyepiece/p1568410?mkwid=sez5kh7eb_dc&pcrid=72342100209&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=codew7mi9cccfqxnwgodn2ykcg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PrimaLuceLab-LE-Planetary-6mm-eyepiece-/151526010304?hash=item2347a76dc0

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-eyepieces/william-optics-spl-eyepiece.html

So we have William Optics, Lightwave and PrimaLuceLab all seemingliy the same design, fov, ER etc. Are the latter 2 simply a rebadge of the WO version or maybe its another way around!

The WO and Lightwave look identical although the PLL version looks a little bit jazzier. (is that a word really?)

I am not in the market for one but you know when you start trolling the net looking at Astronomy things and then come accross these similarities it seems the thing to ask!

Anybody got any of these, verdicts and/or other comments?

Steve

I think the answer is "probably" :smiley:

What you can't tell is whether the different brands have slightly different coating, glass type or quality checking specifications. If you order enough from the manufacturer you can make bespoke specification changes like that.

My guess is that they are of the same general optical design though.

Thanks gents, quite striking really the number of rebadges

Indeed. When they look more or less the same it's not too difficult to spot them but when the body designs are very different it makes it harder to know what you are getting and annoying if you end up spending quite a lot more on a design that could be obtained under different branding for much less.

And yet another - Astro-Tech LER. Reviiew  here:

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/articles/cat/user-reviews/review-of-the-astro-tech-ler-eyepieces-r2617

I have the Altair Lightwave LER 12.5  (bought from Green Witch at Birstall) and although I have nothing to directly compare it with, I have been very pleased with it. On the strength of it I have just bought the 9mm but typically I've not been able to try it yet.

I have the W O version from Flo, it's very well engineered, and is a very good planetary eyepiece,

the only thing I don't like is, the top dust cap is very loose, but other than that I find it a good buy.   

I am slowly being talked into buying one at 6mm here. Haha its being considered for the right conditions on planets, splitting stars and the moon. For reasons soon to be disclosed the barlowed 12mm wouldn't cut it.

Steve

I think the answer is "probably" :smiley:

What you can't tell is whether the different brands have slightly different coating, glass type or quality checking specifications. If you order enough from the manufacturer you can make bespoke specification changes like that.

My guess is that they are of the same general optical design though.

I don't think that of the same design only. The coating technology, glass type should be the same as well since they are PROBABLY :evil:  made by the same manufacturer (Long Perng).  I guess, it would be very costly to change technology at any new vendor 's request. Of course, quality control is up to a vendor that where they may differ, IMO. Otherwise, as an indirect proof, practically all the reviews on the variety of these brands are pretty similar :grin: .

FWIW, they were sold on the US market as Smart Astronomy LER, AT LER... and are being sold as the Zhumell Planetary (absolute cheapest version I'm aware of at $44.98) and Orion Edge-On ($100+).

Are all these the same too? Or "similar".

http://www.telescope.com/Accessories/Telescope-Eyepieces/Orion-Edge-On-Planetary-125-Eyepieces/c/3/sc/47/e/68.uts

http://www.stellarvue.com/ep-06-1-planetary-eyepiece/

http://www.365astronomy.com/6mm-SPLER-Super-Planetary-Long-Eye-Relief-Eyepiece.html

and I think they "probably" are. The Stellarview gets a pretty good review, like the Astro-Tech. I managed to get a quick wince through my new 9mm Altair yesterday evening at the setting crescent moon, before the clouds rolled in. Not the biggest test admittedly, and I've not got so much experience in using that many EPs but I'm really impressed by the sharpness, on axis and off ,to the edge; contrast and they are just so comfortable to use. It would be interesting to put them against the much favoured starguiders which sell at a similar price.

They all seem to have the same design but come with 2 distinct body designs. 6 types like the WO version and 2 types like the version from 365. The cheapest of the bunch in the lightwave at Wex at £45, followed by the primaluce(56.58), 365(63.60), WO(79) which is the same as the Omegon and Orion is last and quite a jump to £105. Cant find a UK retailer for the stellarvue or astro-tech.

One thing I tried to find but cannot is a pattern in focal lengths in the WO design type. The 365 - primaluce designs are identical focal lengths so almost certainly clones of each other.

So IMO the Wex is best value based upon price and is the same design and body as the WO, Omegon and Orion but at less than half the price in comparison to the Orion. For anyone new to this hobby it would certainly be a strong contender if on a budget.

Pity we can't get a hold of each one and give them a try out, I bet the results would be interesting.

The Chinese business model is to offer the same basic product to many clients, but as well as specifying different printing they will also be able to specify other features from coatings  to levels of inspection.

I don't know about eyepieces or telescopes, but it's not unknown for 'cheap and cheerful' importers (the kind of ebay seller that works out of a container or a lockup) of some products to essentially be selling the gear that failed to achieve the QC for the better brands although they look identical.

The Chinese business model is to offer the same basic product to many clients, but as well as specifying different printing they will also be able to specify other features from coatings  to levels of inspection.

I don't know about eyepieces or telescopes, but it's not unknown for 'cheap and cheerful' importers (the kind of ebay seller that works out of a container or a lockup) of some products to essentially be selling the gear that failed to achieve the QC for the better brands although they look identical.

I've found when delving into the specifications of some binoculars that they may originate in the same factory, even a similar model but as you say, may or may not be quite to the same specification - its a job to tell. There seems to be  some thought that the ES Maxvisions are eyepieces that didn't quite cut the Meade QC, but that still hasn't stopped the Maxvisions from finding some very satisfied customers, myself included.

Altair in their "staff comment" on the Lightwave LER state that have "We have been able to keep the cost down by using a simple yet robust barrel, and by incorporating optics which are already a popular proven formula". That may be a bit of a sales pitch but my experience so far, limited though it may be, would give some credence to that statement. 

Incidentally b'baz, both Green Witch and Altair (direct) sell the Lightwave LERs for £45.00I   have no connection to Altair by the way! 

Archived