NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky @ Night on TV today (Monday 5th)

SteelRat

Quick heads up - Sky at Night is on BBC4 this evening @ 19.30 and later @ 01.50. That means I missed it last night on PROPER telly. I can only watch BBC4 in the preview window :angry: Will sit closer.

Cheers

Matthew(SR)

Yes, I watched it after recording it. Sir Patrick asked the three experts lots of intriguing questions about the history of the Universe.

Seems that the more we get to know about the Universe, the more we find that we do not know!

If only we could come back in 600 years to see how much more we know!

(I found the pictures from the "Hubble" space telescope fascinating - especially when they "panned" out from that photo of the hundreds of galaxies!

Sir Patrick Moore certainly knows his stuff, but he's very humble to admit that all he said about Venus 30 years ago, has now been proved "completely wrong!"

What a man!

Regards,

philsail1

A entertaining S@N, and informative. Sir Patrick is still the best populariser of astronomy. Time might sadly be taking toll of his body but thankfully not his intellect and humour. And lets not forget three great guests who certainly Know their stuff and how to communicate to us amateur's

phillc

I get to like Chris Lintot more and more: "... Astronomers always blame Particle Physic[ist]s"? :mrgreen:

Wish I shared the same conviction, the latter would provide candidates for "dark" whatever...

I find the hardest part to grasp is "inflation", "assymetries" and the "communication" problem etc. But I sense, if I tried REALLY hard! I'm also perennially intrigued by the idea, that, "If things were not just they ARE, then we (probably) wouldn't be around to observe any of this, anyway... :angry:

Very good viewing.

I liked the comparisons that were made regarding our present day knowledge of the universe and those of the past. Is it really only a century ago that we found out that other galaxies where not part of the Milky Way?

I also like the idea that in another hundred years present thinking may have been turned on it's head and that we were found to have been fumbling in the dark matter so to speak. :angry:

Cheers

CW

Archived