Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow, Damaged.

bomberbaz

Hello all.

I have a Celestron Ultima 2x Barlow which was dropped and damaged the barrel. End result, wont accept filters but visually it seems perfect. I have not noticed any distortion and an unfocused star test seemed perfectly spherical.

Anyway, since i bought the orthoscopic barlow I have not used it at all. So think it might be time to offload but at what cost!

Given the above damage I just wondered how this will effect resale price, is there a rule of thumb on this?

Steve

the Ultima barlow's discontinued (I think) but what ever price they come up at 2nd hand in good condition + and extra 20-30% off ? Someone could well be interested at the right price.  You can always list it on ABS and see if you get any interest (it would be a shame to chuck it IMO).

the Ultima barlow's discontinued (I think) but what ever price they come up at 2nd hand in good condition + and extra 20-30% off ? Someone could well be interested at the right price.  You can always list it on ABS and see if you get any interest (it would be a shame to chuck it IMO).

I think I will do just this. If I put on detailed pictures and offer returns then it should be a more palatable if someone wanted a decent (yet slightly damaged) Barlow at the right price.

Last I saw one on ABS it was around £75 so I could try £50 or offers.

@Robin. Surprised to hear you would bin it buddy, like I said it seems in perfect working order, I will try a barlowed laser to see what results that gives and a star test again later just to verify.

Steve

Don't bin it! I'd be surprised if you got £50 for it though, there's been a couple on abs recently for around that which weren't damaged, but even a tenner or twenty is better than nothing.

Yeah i had a look on ABS, £50 is deffo too much to ask. I will pitch it out lower and see what gives, thanks.

I agree that it would be a shame to ditch it if it still appears optically ok.  Before these were discontinued they had a reputation as being an excellent barlow and were very much sought after once they were no longer available new.

I do have to admit to a slight confusion though as my 2x Ultima won't accept filters anyhow.  The retaining ring for the lens assembly comes right to the end of the barrel.

James

Archived