Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where to start with the Messier catalogue

Hi all,

Last night I was out in the garden with my (relatively) new scope (Skywatch Explorer 200p).

I popped out for 1/2 an hour to see if I could find Neptune (no luck, it was too low in the light pollution) and the comet Jaques (no luck, think I need a much darker site), and ended up outside for about 3 hours!

I did find Andromeda, Epsilon Lyrae ( though I couldn't split each separate double) and Alberio. After that I found myself just slewing around the sky without any real purpose, and although I do find that quite fun, I thought it might be good see it I could find a few Nebulas and Clusters; this got me wondering where to start?

Is there some logical numbering to the Messier catalogue, should I start at M1 and work up from there, or do people have a top 5 that they point newbies towards, that are relatively easy to find, quite high in the sky, and fairly bright.

I do take my scope out to more open and darker sites occasionally, but I struggle to do that on a school night and so when the skies are clear in the week, I want to get my scope out as often as possible and that is much easier to do for an hour or two in the back garden.

Thanks in advance - having hung around the forum for the past few weeks just reading, I know I'm going to get some good advice, with at least one of you telling me to download stellarium ;-) unfortunately my laptop is too old to run the latest version - upgrade coming soon.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no real logic in the numbering. Where to start also depends on the time of year. M13, M57, and M27 are still well placed, and not very hard to find. M81 and M82 are good objects, whereas M101 and M33 are very tricky. The Double Cluster is rising, and later in the year M45, and a string of Messier clusters in Auriga will be choice targets. In winter, M42 and M43 are superb.

The Messier catalogue was made by Charles Messier.   It was actually a list of things that he didn't want to spend time observing as he was a comet hunter, so these things simply got in the way.

With that in mind, the order of the numbering was actually the order that he added them to the list.  It doesn't relate to any logical order across the sky, or stuff.  So there isn't a logical order like M1, M2, etc.  actually, you'd be best sitting down with a sky chart and working out the best order for a hit list for your time of year.

As we're comming up on winter, I'd say M42 will be top of that list in December-March (roughly off the top of my head)

Thanks guys, I'll stick 13, 57 & 27 at the top of the list for the next couple of sessions and the Double Cluster, 45 & 42 when winter comes.

Book add to amazon wish list (Christmas soon - I've actually got a list of things to ask for this year).

There are several lists that tell you when the best time to observer each M object is during the calendar year. So, depending on your location, you can view every M object in a calendar year or less. I know several of the big astronomy mags usually have a list of the best M objects to observe that month. And you can always find them on the internet too.

If you're looking for a logically numbered catalogue, the Caldwell objects might be a good place to start; they are ordered in Declination order and to find out what you can see from your location, subtract 85 degrees from you latitude and that's your cut off point(s). Some of them are a bit faint but it's a list that Patrick Moore put together in 1995 and is a range of different types of objects - plenty of variety.

Happy viewing

Hi Rockystar, and welcome to SGL.

I have recently decided to start a list of Messier objects I have viewed and have currently ticked off just 10 out of 110 since I started writing proper viewing reports at the beginning of August. I know I have viewed more than that since I got started with astronomy at the end of last year, however I have been inspired to write viewing logs by fellow members of my local astronomical society. Being strict on myself, I am only counting the ones I have viewed since my log book began.

I use Turn Left at Orion to help me locate what is viewable in the seasonal skies, and also information found on my star charts and on-line. I always find it useful to scout around the forum to read what other people have been viewing, and formulate a rough viewing plan prior to an evening with the binos or scope.

Regarding M33 and M101, I agree that they are tricky to view. Due to it's large size and low apparent surface brightness, I could not bag M33 using a scope - not even with my little 80mm frac. After turning my 10x50 binos onto it, I could make it out and was surprised that it took around 1/4 of the FOV. I think scopes just give too much magnification to view it, and using averted vision also does the trick.

However, when it comes to M101, I still have not managed that one yet - not even with my binos. Think I'll need a really dark sky with good viewing, but I will not give up!

Good luck with your mission - it'll be something you'll keep working away at for years :)

Watch out when you look for M57, When I first saw it I went straight past it thinking it was a defoe used star

I agree! I bagged M57 for the first time on Saturday night, although I think I had seen it before but just not realised it. I had only taken my little 80mm frac out for a quick informal viewing session with a couple of astro-friends, and I must say I was somewhat underwhealmed. It does just look like an out of focus star, but really easy to find around half way between Beta and Gamma Lyrae. Will have to have another go at it when I'm out with a bit more aperture :)

The open clusters in Cassiopeia are very well placed in the evening sky at present, there are two Messier objects included, M103 and M52. Good luck and clear skies.

M103 is a lovely one, and again nicely located and easy to find. That was another one I ticked off on Saturday night. Didn't know it was there. Was just scouting around Cassiopiea and saw a "fuzzy". After consulting the star chart I discovered it to be M103 - result.

It's a nice one to move up to after the double cluster (NGC869 & NGC884). Haven't done M52 yet though - thanks for the heads up Astro Imp :)

Messier compiled his list in the order that he observed them. The first he saw, M1, had previously been discovered by Bevis. Messier chanced upon it while hoping to see the return of Halley's Comet, and it prompted him to begin keeping a tally of similar comet imposters. A significant number were Messier's own original discoveries, others were objects he rediscovered independently, or ones he knew had been discovered by other astronomers (e.g. Mechain).  The last items were added in modern times, it having been established that Messier observed them but for some reason did not include them in his catalogue.

For modern Messier hunters, the best strategy is to view whichever objects happen to be best placed at the time. Ideally a site should have a good view to the south, as this is where objects rise highest and are therefore least dimmed by the atmosphere.

Spring is the best time for the Messier galaxies in Ursa Major, Coma and Virgo. Summer is best for the clusters and nebulae towards Sagitarrius and Scorpius, assuming the sky is dark enough and the site is not too northerly. Autumn is good for M31, M33 and other objects in that part of the sky. Winter is the time for Orion, Taurus etc. For any object, it's just a case of finding when, for any given date, it lies on the meridian (i.e. due south) assuming the site offers a view in that direction. The simplest way to do that is to use a planisphere.

If you intend to start now then look at constellations that are in the West, these will disappear as the year progresses so basically get them now if possible. Even if you miss them now it means less to tick off next Spring/Summer.

So I would work through Hercules, Lyra, Aquila and Cygnus.

Not sure what is low to the horizon presently could be worth searching out any.

Not sure if already supplied there is this planner: MMP

Get the "obscure" ones when you can, M42 will be easy.

For whatever reason March tends to be the time for a Messier Marathon - think that NLO (Sidmouth) holds one but a bit too far for you I guess.

I love doing the Messiers. As Paul said it's a great way to familiarise yourself with the sky ang gives some great views of different objects. You'll be amazed how much you learn if you have a go without the aid of a GoTo. Good old fashioned star hopping with star charts as a guide :)

I find this a useful little link for when I am planning a viewing session as it shows clearly where each Messier object is, along with others in the area. Each one has its own link to show you what you are looking for, with a bit more information on that object. Enjoy! :)

http://freestarcharts.com/index.php/messier-catalogue

Archived