Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Observing some Planetary Nebs with the Orion VX8

Mark at Beaufort

The other day Nick (Cotterless 45) posted an observing session starting with NGC40 (the Bow Tie Neb). I had not seen this particular PN so last night decided to have a session based around these objects. I started with NGC40 which is in an area devoid of bright stars. I was happy that I had the Uranometria star atlas to go star hopping. I found the faint glow of the Neb which was improved with the Astronomik O-III filter.

I then looked at 2 PNs in Aquila starting with NGC6751. This PN is very close to Lambda Aquilae so very easy to find. Its small but I could easily see it using the filters. The next one was far more difficult and does not appear in the S&T Pocket Atlas. Again small and faint and I eventually got it with averted viewing. I was going to view NGC6781 but I had viewed it the other night so left it for another time.

Over to Delphinus and again missed out on NGC7006 because it was viewed the other night. Decided to find NGC6905 (Blue Flash Neb). Easy to locate using the stars of Sagitta. The Neb has a nice glow and is a moderate size so easy to view.

With Aquarius nicely positioned I viewed NGC7009 (Saturn Neb). When viewing this PN I always start with Albali and then down to M72. I recently bought a 7mm Baader Genuine Ortho so tried it out on this object. Happy with the outcome I ventured down to M30 which again is easy being right next to star 41 in Capricornus.

Being in the area I could not over look NGC7293 (Helix Neb). I attached the Astronomik O-III filter to the 14mm ES EP and got a lovely view of this Neb. Because things seemed to be going well I thought I would have a go at the Crescent Neb (NGC 6888) in Cygnus not having viewed it the Orion VX8 before. I used the new 24mm ES 68 degree EP - with the unfiltered scope I could see nothing but adding the O-III I had hints of nebula which appeared to arc over the stars.

I ended the night with a lovely PN - NGC7662 (Blue Snowball). This PN is bright so a good end to the night.

Excellent report Mark - some lovely planetaries there :smiley:

Some of these things are very small aren't they ?. M27 seems gigantic when you have been looking at something that needs 200x to check that it's not just a star !

I love the Blue Snowball, now that I know where it is :grin:

Regards,

Very nice haul of planetaries. I must say I became much more interested in them since I found the Brightest 100 Planetaries list. They are a very varied bunch of objects, from tiny, near stellar to large, ethereal ones like the Helix (and that isn't even the lowest surface brightness one).

Great report, out of interest is your filter 2" or 1.25? Thinking getting a smaller one too, got the 2", like yourself tried crescent last night (first time) exactly as you described :) m27 was great, also looked at blinking pn in Cygnus (can't recall name) , got limited view so missed out on Saturn neb as too low, will try that when out next at darker site!

Great report, out of interest is your filter 2" or 1.25? Thinking getting a smaller one too, got the 2", like yourself tried crescent last night (first time) exactly as you described :) m27 was great, also looked at blinking pn in Cygnus (can't recall name) , got limited view so missed out on Saturn neb as too low, will try that when out next at darker site!

Over the past 12 months I changed my TeleVue Ethos range. I now use the Explorer Scientific EP range both the 82 and 68 degree. I was lucky to be able to buy an Astronomik O-III and Lumicon UHC 1.25" both used and of course they fit the ES range very well. The only 2" UHC filter I have fits the ES 18mm.

Archived