Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lazy observing 9/08/15

Helix

Date: 9-10/08/15

Time: 10pm-3am

Observing site: 52*N and 01*E'.

Distant street light.

Sky condition: not perfect but clear :) Clear is good enough for England.

Transparency and seeing I leave for those who spoilt by good skies.

10" dob - my loyal friend with enjoyable sharp view.

Eyepieces 5, 10, 14 mm XW Pentax and some Tak.

Filters: UHC, OIII Lumicon

Last month I was chasing running away objects just above horizon. I tried so hard not to miss any objects in Sagittarius, Scorpius and so on that I even did not want to waste my time writing notes. Sorry but this story not about NGC 6624 or M 54.

This report is about well observed objects just above our heads. I decided to stay in my garden despite the distant street lights.

Saturn. You never bored with this planet. Golden-brown marble at south horizon! Cassini division is clearly visible. Rings show structure like a vinyl record.

Double double, Lyra. I revisit this group of stars again and again to confirm colours I always see in there. Some reports say that 4 visible stars are white. I personally see yellowish/ orangey and bluish/white stars in Epsilon1 and yellowish/ greyish and white/blue in Epsilon2. I will do a colourful sketch soon.

Albireo, double star. Prominent orange star and the blue partner. Just enjoyable view. Just a feast for your eyes. Colours are so distinctive that it makes this couple to stand out.

NGC 6910, The Rocking Horse cluster. The shape of the rocking horse is easily recognisable in Dobsonian. Refractors show the true image but the shape of the rocking horse is not easy to recognise because it looks upside down. This cluster should be observed through Newtonians :).

Next visit is M 52, open cluster and my favourite NGC 7635, Bubble Nebula in Cassiopeia. I like two in one objects. Open cluster is nice collection of approx.190 stars. Next to it The Bubble Nebula. The nebula is tiny in 10" but visible and nebulosity is well recognisable with direct vision.

NGC 7662, The Blue Snowball, planetary nebula in Andromeda. This is a gem of the night skies. Cold blue colour with bright white glow in the interior around the central star( the central star was visible only with averted vision at 240 mag, I think, but I am not sure). White glow in the interior is various in brightness and visible only on W, S and E of planetary. Absolutely beautiful object!

Next to NGC 7662 is NGC 7640, elongated edge on galaxy. The core was not bright. Shape appeared to be irregular. Right part of the galaxy was wider and longer than left.

NGC 7331, galaxy in Pegasus. Stunning edge on spiral galaxy. Bright core. I saw a few tiny galaxies around NGC 7331.

Sadly, the neighbouring Stephan's Quintet was hidden behind the house roof.

NGC 7457 in Pegasus is lenticular? galaxy. Large bright and well defined ellipsoidal core is imbedded in the diffuse background of the rest of the galaxy. Someone may say boring galaxy but not for me.

NGC 7048, nice planetary in Cygnus. Transparent soap bubble, as I call it. One of my favourites. One side was slightly distorted otherwise round. I see a hint of the transparent blue colour.

NGC 7008, 2 in 1, planetary and double stars. Another unusual planetary nebula in the middle of nowhere. It has bright rim but the left side (in 10" Newtonian) looks brighter than right one. Shape is irregular. The darkest area is at SE where lies a double. This object relatively easy observe without filters. The central star is visible with direct vision.

M15 in Pegasus is very nice condensed globular and NGC 7006 is small GC in Delphinus.

7027, PN in Cygnus. Bipolar. W lobe is brighter. Dividing line is clearly visible. Bluish/greyish colour. I know that some of you doubt my ability to see colours. But I see it! :)

And many others...

It was one of those nights when I wanted to visit my 'old friends'. Nothing special probably but I enjoyed thoroughly.

Clear skies to all of you,

Tatyana

Nice report and a good reminder as to some of the planetary's in particular to go observing currently. Last weekend I spent some time on NGC 6826 the Blinking Planetary and NGC 6781 in Aquila, lacking the colour of the former though just as pleasing to observe, appearing to my eyes like a bright grey tennis ball.

Thank you, Iain.

The blinking p-ry is fascinating object. I observed it with 20" recently and it lost its blinking effect but I could see the nebulosity around the central star and two patches on both sides. I still prefer to observe it with smaller aperture. I think I like to deceive myself with false effects :).

Lovely write up. There are a couple on there that I'm not familiar with. I may retrace your steps next it,e that I am out.

You do well do get Stephan's Quintet with a 10".

Paul

Ps. You are dead right about the Blue Snowball. Loads to offer given a bit of magnification.

Very nicely written report. Did something similar myself last night. Set up for a Perseids watch from 10 until 3am, but did it in half hour sessions. For the other half hours I just wandered the skies with my Dob looking for old favourites. Seen plenty of meteors, but also had a very enjoyable session with the scope.

Lovely report of old favourites. I left the frac in the shed and set up the 10" Dob. Enough aperture from town showing enough contrast to give details to targets. NGC 7331 is a favourite, it's how our galaxy would appear . Brighter planetaries will also take magnification and show plenty colour. The Eastern Veil just glowed with a UHC,

Nick.

Almost fell into the aperture trap !

Thats an excellent report Tatyana - a great list of Summer objects :smiley:

It thats a "lazy" session your more ernest ones must be packed full of goodies !

The blinking p-ry is fascinating object. I observed it with 20" recently and it lost its blinking effect but I could see the nebulosity around the central star and two patches on both sides. I still prefer to observe it with smaller aperture. I think I like to deceive myself with false effects :).

I found something similar when viewing this object with my 12" dobsonian. The "blinking" was not on and off any more but a variation in the surface brightness as you switched between direct and averted vision. It's quite hypnotic :smiley:

Great report Tatyana! :smiley:

I love the Scorpion and the Bubble too, you have just reminded me to view them! I better check out the Pacman in Cass while I'm thinking of it- so much to see.

Hi Gerry,

I forgot to mention Pacman and Cresent in Cygnus, and Veil, of course. Veil was bright and full of details .... I agree so much seen a so much to see. I adore observing. Love astronomy :)

Great report Tatyana! :smiley:

I love the Scorpion and the Bubble too, you have just reminded me to view them! I better check out the Pacman in Cass while I'm thinking of it- so much to see.

And I forgot to say thank you :)

Archived