Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sky full of treasure !

cotterless45

As darkness fell the sky showed the mass of constellations. Ursa Major pointed at Arcturus and Hercules to Vega and the Summer Triangle. Cassiopeia was high and clear in the north with Perseus, Andromeda and Pegasus all rising.

A stunning sight was the Eastern Veil, the whole arc of NGC 6695 to NGC 6992 glowing with a UHC filter at x30.

A very bright ISS passed nearly overhead in the absolute quiet, calm and chill of night.

A quick tour around the Messiers showed a dainty bow of M76, the glow of M27 and clusters everywhere .

Down to the young M 71 in Sagitta, this is fully resolvable and x200 opened it right out. Over to Delphinus and a few smaller planetaries, picked out by their non stellar glows.

Neptune was a small blue pea in the east , then a real surprise. First time over the town lights that the kite of Aquarius was obvious in the south east.this was right down to Sadalsuud. Just look under the familiar Enif, brightest star of Pegasus !

I found the brilliant glow of M2, so very very bright. Then a site of NGC 7009, " The Saturn Nebula" , just a low glow. I tried for the "Helix Nebula" but cloud drifted along the south. Aquarius is full of gems including some fine doubles. Try the bright zeta and the stram of stars to Σ2838. 29 Aquari showed a showcase even pair , that I'd last seen two years ago.

Over to the spectacular M11, just crusted with stars. Up to Cepheus and the open cluster NGC 6939, the star clouds here being resolvable at x100. Then to the double red Kruger 60, fast orbiting red stars at the base of Cepheus.

I had planned just a tour of the local group, M31, NGC 185, NGC 147, IC 10 and the lonely IC 1613 (+9) in Cetus. The last quarter Moon was heaving higher and brightening the sky.

I did catch NGC 7331 in Pegasus, looking very similar to how our galaxy would look. Then over the the stunning Blue Snowball, NGC 7662.

There seems a lot here, but after a wide view I tried a couple of eps on each target to tease the detail out.

After a ride along the terminator, I looked up and Caph was nearly overhead. This was a find preview of yet more treasures.

Nick.post-6974-0-17539100-1438929854_thumb.jp

Great report Nick, making me feel guilty as all I did was lounged around hoping to catch some early Perseids then retired when the Moon came up

Hard to move the scope with a Scotch in my hand  :grin:

Dave

Nicely done as ever Nick :smiley:

I wish my horizons were less cluttered with houses, trees etc. There's some lovely stuff down there that I can rarely get a scope onto :embarrassed:

I've got the All Sky edition of Uranometria 2000.0 arriving today so that should provide some more fodder for my "yard cannon" :smiley:

The "Stars Over Europe" book looks a good one :smiley:

A very nice report Nick, and yes there is "lot's of treasure" to observe, you had an enjoyable night,

as did I, Summer observing is very satisfying and relaxing, and as you know there is so much to see. 

Archived