Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Take a look at these brass focusser knobs- superb

DaveGibbons

As some of you may know from my previous posts I recently picked up a 6" Helios achromat refractor for not alot and it turns out to have a stunning objective -best I've ever seen in an achro. It has a Rack and pinion focusser which after re-greasing is actually not bad but those plastic knobs ugh!

I didn't want to spend a fortune on a moonlite and got to thinking how I could improve the focusser movement. If I could replace the plastic ones with larger diameter brass ones iut would improve the look and fine focussing no end. I knw you can buy aftermarket brushed aluminium ones but I wanted the biggest diameter I could get for finer movement.

One of my friends from the local is a toolmaker by trade and has an extensive workshop at home, he makes jewellery for a hobby! Never thought of asking him before so I gave him a drawing and the old knob .

My jaw nearly hit the floor when he brought them round today, they are beautiful, no they are exquisite and make the focusser a joy to use, my drawing was for just a flat piece of brass with a knurl on the edge. The Turning and attention to detail is stunning as you can see below. They are works of art!

5538_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

5539_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

5540_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

5541_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

He didn't know what to charge me but I knew he spent a couple of evenings on them so I gave him £30. He is not a commercial business just a hobbyist engineer , but guys I am sure I could get him to make a few more sets if anyone wants one just let me know.

An additional benefit is the weight of the brass allows you to move the scope up in it's tube rings a couple of inches as all Synta/skywatcher refractors are front heavy.

Cheers

Dave

Great to have a friend with light engineering skills Dave. Those brass knobs have added some class to your scope, and not only pimped it up, but made a practical contribution to your focusing adjustments.

He has made a very nice job of creating them for you.

Ron. ;)

Archived