Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Some Super Takumar Pics

Finally, after ages of cloudy nights I got an opportunity to do a little imaging. I chose to have a go with the 200mm F4 Super Takumar on an unmodded 1100d, mounted on the heq5 with a finder guider.

Here's a somewhat cropped and resized M34/Spiral Cluster. It's just 20 x 90s, iso 400, stacked with flats only.

post-33532-0-37232700-1437764853_thumb.p

Also had my very first go at M31 but it was a bit of a disaster cos of lp gradients and only 48 x 60s. Not nearly enough, but at least can see some dust lanes! :)

post-33532-0-42352400-1437765339_thumb.p

Anyway, there you go!

Louise

I'm always surprised how I find greater quality in the first images people take than those they go on to take as their skill increases (and equipment is upgraded).

I think it's down to knowing the great amount of time and patience it takes to achieve the first images - and the excitement and wonder as the image is processed and you see a galaxy YOU took a picture of :-)

How it compares, what it's flaw's or strengths are and even if you never image again is not important - you'll keep that first shot and it will probably mean more to you throughout the years than any your likely to take.

My first images do - and that is where you've surpassed me - my first image of M31 was a single blob - that I thought was M110 or M32....turned out to be all I caught of M31 :-)

So Louise, thanks for posting one of the more (for me) interesting images we get to see on this forum.

You've demonstrated your skill and knowledge on the forum many times so I'm sure you'll soon be picking out the dust lanes in the core before long :-)

Good Luck!

David

I'm always surprised how I find greater quality in the first images people take than those they go on to take as their skill increases (and equipment is upgraded).

I think it's down to knowing the great amount of time and patience it takes to achieve the first images - and the excitement and wonder as the image is processed and you see a galaxy YOU took a picture of :-)

How it compares, what it's flaw's or strengths are and even if you never image again is not important - you'll keep that first shot and it will probably mean more to you throughout the years than any your likely to take.

My first images do - and that is where you've surpassed me - my first image of M31 was a single blob - that I thought was M110 or M32....turned out to be all I caught of M31 :-)

So Louise, thanks for posting one of the more (for me) interesting images we get to see on this forum.

You've demonstrated your skill and knowledge on the forum many times so I'm sure you'll soon be picking out the dust lanes in the core before long :-)

Good Luck!

David

Hi David

Thanks for the encouragement! I've been imaging for about 18 months now but it's actually the first time I've had a go at M31. Have tried M33 before (with the 150pds and qhy8l) but it's a very difficult target from here (as is everything with nebulosity) though I did get a reasonable-ish image after a lot of long subs. The 1100d I use with the Tak is unmodded and I don't have a lp filter for it. Hence I'm 'exposing to the right' and max sub lengths are 60-90s before I get a completely white screen. The gradients are mostly caused by a nearby streetlamp :( I really need to get outside as the white window frames also cause gradients. I'm working towards al fresco imaging! I managed to get a little more M31 data last night so will add it in later :) There's a chance of getting some more tonight - if the forecast holds out!

Cheers

Louise

Very nice images. I like the star colours in M34. I can certainly sympathise with about the lack of clear skies. Driving me potty !!!!

Thanks - they're not very good but I like to post something now and again! It's currently forecast clear for tonight but, of course, 11 hours+ is a long time ahead for Glasgow weather predictions! Still, fingers crossed!

Cheers

Louise

Great stuff

Lovely pics

M31 has been very elusive for me always have problems when trying to image. Will get it one day :)

You are getting good detail in the spiral there

Gareth.

Hi Gareth

I'm aiming for one like this http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/i-3D2Hw7s/0/X3/M31%20Outer%20Halo-X3.jpg but it's a bit of a dream at the moment!

Cheers

Louise

Nice images! I really like the colour you've got in M34 and M31 has come out nicely with a lot of detail despite the light polution :)

Cheers,

C.

Thanks! They are both works in progress! I got some more M31 last night and a few subs of C28 before the clouds came over. Watch this space!

Cheers

Louise

Exciting Stuff! I just bought a Pentax 6x7 200mm, the later one with internal focus. Have an adapter coming. Which body is your lens made for?-Jack

Hiya

It has a M42/Pentax thread. I had to fiddle with it a bit to get focus at infinity :) Still, it was an awful lot cheaper than a Canon equivalent! Only $83.99 + free delivery :)

Cheers

OK, thanks. I'm hoping the strategy of carving the center out of the 6x7 circle will give good results. Our forecast says 3-4 more weeks of steady rain. Haven't seen a star so long I got excited when I could see a bit of the moon through the clouds :sad:

OK, thanks. I'm hoping the strategy of carving the center out of the 6x7 circle will give good results. Our forecast says 3-4 more weeks of steady rain. Haven't seen a star so long I got excited when I could see a bit of the moon through the clouds :sad:

It's been awful here but just had two nights clear :) Probably cloudy for the next week...

There were some screws on the barrel of the focuser on the Takumar - enabled me to adjust the infinity.

Look forward to seeing some pics of yours when you get the opportunity :)

Louise

Archived