NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A new search for ET intelligent life launched today

reddoss

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree it's worth a listen, in the unlikely event that we did receive a signal it would change our perspective for ever.

There's no bigger question than whether life is rare or common in the universe.

honestly we likely have already received signals, we just dont understand their language

Searching in 3 dimensions is easy. Just point a radio telescope somewhere and listen. 

The three spatial dimensions are vast but my belief is that we aren't separated from our nearest neighbours by space but by time. And time is equally vast!

Maybe some alien civilisation, 100,000 l/y away, started sending radio broadcasts 10,000 years ago. Will we be here to hear them in 90,000 years. I wouldn't bet on it!

Maybe our nearest neighbours expired a billion years ago? Or maybe we'll be a billion years extinct by the time life spontaneously arises somewhere else within our observable universe? 

I'm not saying we shouldn't try. It's just I won't be putting my money up :D

Edit: can't add up!

Searching in 3 dimensions is easy. Just point a radio telescope somewhere and listen. 

The three spatial dimensions are vast but my belief is that we aren't separated from our nearest neighbours by space but by time. And time is equally vast!

Maybe some alien civilisation, 100,000 l/y away, started sending radio broadcasts 10,000 years ago. Will we be here to hear them in 90,000 years. I wouldn't bet on it!

Maybe our nearest neighbours expired a billion years ago? Or maybe we'll be a billion years extinct by the time life spontaneously arises somewhere else within our observable universe? 

I'm not saying we shouldn't try. It's just I won't be putting my money up :D

Edit: can't add up!

I think that this is it.

Olly

John,

Thanks for that.  But somehow, the programme has linked with my Stellarium program(?)  and that didn't work properly anyway.

Solution: new laptop with MUCH later windows...

Cheers,

Mark

The link should take you to the SETI@home web page which explains how to get involved.

If you Google the term you should get the same webpage.

Archived