SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A new search for ET intelligent life launched today

reddoss

A project costing £64 million to search for signals from ET using some of the world's most powerful radio telescopes had it launch at the Royal Society today.  The initiative is backed by Lord Rees (Astronomer Royal) and Stephen Hawking. SETI are involved, so the public can get involved in the data processing. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33596271

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting article, I agree with Hawkings comments -

"Somewhere in the cosmos, perhaps, intelligent life may be watching these lights of ours, aware of what they mean"

"Or do our lights wander a lifeless cosmos - unseen beacons, announcing that here, on one rock, the Universe discovered its existence. Either way, there is no bigger question. It's time to commit to finding the answer - to search for life beyond Earth. 

The above link did not work for me, will try this one :smiley:  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33596271

I just watched the article on the BBC news very interesting but my gut feeling is that they would have more success looking inwards at the sub atomic.

Alan

Why, do you think there is intelligent life to be found in subatomic particles???  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

stub mandrel- your right there man, i think the reason why aliens havent made contact is there worried we may eat them.ha. charl

Eh not eat them, the aliens have seen our scifi movies and dont want to be disected or exterminated

Just this week as we took a close look at Pluto for the first time I thought how far man has reached since the end of the second world war. Using the technology from war, for peaceful purposes, it has taken nigh on 70 years to get to the outer reaches of our solar system, over 4.6 billion miles away. This is a truly remarkable achievement. This though is dwarfed by what is needed to search for other life in the universe. Personally I cannot believe that we are on our own, but, to actualy find other life seems out of our reach. Maybe in the distant future, technology will be available to undertake this mission but for now I would suggest any money spent on looking for extra terrestrial life should be diverted into finding a way to get rid of the never ending cloud cover over the north west of England, in particular Lancashire !!!!!!  :grin: 

Using the technology from war, for peaceful purposes, it has taken nigh on 70 years to get to the outer reaches of our solar system, over 4.6 billion miles away. This is a truly remarkable achievement. This though is dwarfed by what is needed to search for other life in the universe. Personally I cannot believe that we are on our own, but, to actualy find other life seems out of our reach.

I couldn't agree more, except I am not so sure that finding other life is out of reach. They are already planning probes to investigate the moons of Jupiter and Saturn, and it is possible that some form of life could be found in their icy depths. The only really, really, annoying thing is that I don't expect to be around when the results come in!! I want to know NOW!

Ian

stub mandrel- your right there man, i think the reason why aliens havent made contact is there worried we may eat them.ha. charl

Either that, or we really are are like Carl Sagan said:  "Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people"

A "Blue Dot" if you will.  Probably why no one has contacted us.

Now, if we were the Klingon Empire or the Federation, maybe we would be noticed.  Just saying...

Cheers,

Mark

gutross- your right mate weve been advatiseing ourselves for the last hundred years.

one hundred yrs is peanuts really. Taking one hundred yrs as a starting point, that means that any "responce would only be from 50 ly away. barley a handful of stars in our own galaxy. And thats assuming the intelligent life even bothers or is capable of dealing with our visible/audible spectrum :). whilst I am reasonably confident there is life out there, I'm not sure it will necessarily be what we concider intelligent.

one hundred yrs is peanuts really. Taking one hundred yrs as a starting point, that means that any "responce would only be from 50 ly away. barley a handful of stars in our own galaxy. And thats assuming the intelligent life even bothers or is capable of dealing with our visible/audible spectrum :). whilst I am reasonably confident there is life out there, I'm not sure it will necessarily be what we concider intelligent.

So our wisdom has percolated out 50 LY's or so ?. They will be impressed with us:

post-118-0-71092400-1437405937.jpg

Intelligence and communicativeness don't have to belong together, nor do intelligence and technology. Add to this the long turnaround time at lightspeed and the thought that intlligent life may not be very long lived (we should know!) then the chances of conversation aren't good. But do you have to try? I think it woud be a shame not to. A major search could be funded by, just for once, axing just one small war.

Olly

A major search could be funded by, just for once, axing just one small war.

Perhaps when we manage to reach that point, the aliens will consider it safe to make themselves known...

James

Archived