Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Horizons Glitch

The Admiral

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great news indeed. 

I'm happy now, it would have been heartbreaking to have lost the 

knowledge that now awaits this encounter.

I bet Pluto will be pleased to see NH too  :grin:  :grin:.

Great news indeed. 

I'm happy now, it would have been heartbreaking to have lost the 

knowledge that now awaits this encounter.

I bet Pluto will be pleased to see NH too  :grin:  :grin:.

Indeed they will! The citizens of the great northern city have been building that protective black dome for nearly a decade!

I read in S&N magazine this evening that Pluto is observable in mid July around the time of the flyby - it would be very cool to be looking at it just as NH whizzes past but it sounds like it will be very low in the sky and very dim. Worth a try though as this might not happen again in our lifetime!

Could a mathematical genius please work out exactly what time the light from Pluto will reach the Earth from the point of NH's closest pass?

I read in S&N magazine this evening that Pluto is observable in mid July around the time of the flyby - it would be very cool to be looking at it just as NH whizzes past but it sounds like it will be very low in the sky and very dim. Worth a try though as this might not happen again in our lifetime!

Could a mathematical genius please work out exactly what time the light from Pluto will reach the Earth from the point of NH's closest pass?

Closest approach is Tue 14th July 2015 11:49:57 UTC. Pluto will be 4.77 bn km from earth at that point so about 4 hours 25 minutes for the signal to get to earth so that would be about 17:15 BST

Closest approach is Tue 14th July 2015 11:49:57 UTC. Pluto will be 4.77 bn km from earth at that point so about 4 hours 25 minutes for the signal to get to earth so that would be about 17:15 BST

Thanks. So bright sunshine (at best) and impossible to see anything other than the Sun :sad:

Our friends in the southern Antipodes might have more luck.

Pluto looks like a tough ask at the moment, have you looked at Mark's attempt with a 16"? Worth a go from a good site with some aperture though.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/247783-Observing-Pluto-%2E%2E%2E%2E%2Enearly/page__view__findpost__p__2695797

Archived