lenovo laptop

I have a Lenovo laptop, used for capturing, postprocessing, everything. It's great, very well built, and has good ongoing support for operating systems.

The one thing you may want to check -  I've read that the X series of Lenovo has 3 USB ports, but I can't confirm it. Will it have sufficient for what you want? I find I need:

- 1 port for the guide camera

- 1 port for imaging camera

- 1 port for mount (I prefer pulse guiding to ST4)

Other people also use USB ports for automated focusers, filter wheels, etc. You can get external USB hubs, but they're a hassle you might not want, and if you do get one you may need an external power cable for it.

Thats it then im getting one, I realise i may have to get a new battery but on the whole it ticks the boxes, When you say "thinkpad" is that just like a model name for it? or are thinkpads like  notebooks etc. its making me feel old not knowing what anything is called im really not up to date with computers laptops etc and docking stations?  I,m pretty sure it has 3 usb ports at the moment I will only need the one anyway I think

Lenovo are usually very good, i use an Ideapad s205 and have had thinkpads before, but just bought a Lenovo B50 for my daughter and its faulty, but dont let this put you of as this can happen with anything, and all my Lenvo`s bar this new one have been really good

Thats it then im getting one, I realise i may have to get a new battery but on the whole it ticks the boxes, When you say "thinkpad" is that just like a model name for it? or are thinkpads like  notebooks etc. its making me feel old not knowing what anything is called im really not up to date with computers laptops etc and docking stations?  I,m pretty sure it has 3 usb ports at the moment I will only need the one anyway I think

IBM / Lenovo Thinkpads are business laptops which when new cost £1000+ and are built like tanks. When a company upgrades their laptops they get recycled by companies such as the ebay shop in the link. The recycler wipes the hard drive and reinstalls windows.

The docking station http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X200-X201-Ultrabase-Docking-Station-DVD-Rom-44C0554-42X4963-/321704883969?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae71af701gives the laptop extra usb ports, CD/DVD drive and a VGA monitor port. On some models you get serial and parallel ports, like mine (aging Thinkpad X41 Tablet)

I've got a Lenovo G780 laptop and I've been really pleased with it. I have to say that the battery has been replaced 2x now (the last one I replaced was a cheaper 3rd party so has lasted about a year I would say) but I don't treat them well. I reckon that the laptop is probably about 3 years old now.

I have been so pleased with Lenovo that I bought one of their mobile phones last year as well - They seem to produce decent reliable kit :)

IBM do not make any desktop kit any more. The brands for laptop / desktop were bought out by Lenovo and the print arm went to Lexmark. That did not happen before we renamed them Stinkpads...Lenovo has done a fine job in turning them around.

Wohoo got  eqmod working with CDC etc, had a few teething problems wouldnt find the port untill I realised I hadnt filled in Baud (whatever that means) but shes all up and running. The battery I,m not that concearned about as I can plug it into my new power tank with a bit of luck, saying that I have been running it all night on and off and battery is still over three quarters so should do 3 hours I think

Archived