Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Polarex-Unitron 60mm f15 Refractor

Result! great find.

Or should I say great find-er  :grin:

Good one :smile:

The same seller also has a very secure looking 1.25" eyepiece adapter that would solve my problem with attaching a heavier diagonal/EPs - have emailed to ask if it fits this model - if it does I might treat myself to a nice dialectric to hold my new BCOs :grin:

• Like 1

This is sounding like a good buy, i have played about with classic fracs a fair few times the biggest surprise i had was a cheap 60mm f700, this gave stunning Luna views 

You are doing a cracking job on this

• Like 1

:D this is how things add up Derek. 

When I bought my Skylight from ABS, I decided with the help from Dave (F15 rules) that I simply must have a Takahashi Prism diagonal :grin:  

:lol:

Having checked around what I would have had to pay for one in pristine condition I think I am still well under budget. I should end up with a lovely old relic in great condition with some very good optical accessories for about the market price of the basic scope plus original accessories in tip top condition.

I need to think about what to do with the tube of the OTA. It has a couple of dents in it and some scratches. Once everything else is sorted I might disassemble it and have the dents knocked out and the exterior re-enameled.

My main problem is being patient and not spending all the money this weekend! :eek:

This is sounding like a good buy, i have played about with classic fracs a fair few times the biggest surprise i had was a cheap 60mm f700, this gave stunning Luna views 

You are doing a cracking job on this

Thanks, Jules. There is definitely something special about these old scopes.

My wife even said she wishes we had room to stand it in the living room :shocked:

Edited by DRT
  • Like 1

I use to have one of those. I use the 2" version on my Vixen ED102SS now. They are really nice diagonals.

I hope the Unitron / Polarex objective is worth the investment. I've read mixed reviews of them in all honesty.

I've bought it used John so, as with anything TV branded, of minimal risk if it doesn't work out as intended :wink:

Looks like a nice job, well done there.

The eyepiece labelled "SYM.ACH 9mm" would indicate that it is probably a pair of symetrical achromatic doublets ---- which is essentially the Plössl design although manufacturers have played fast and loose with designs and labels.

Nigel

Latest updates...

1. The new finder arrived. It is larger than the original, which is good, but I'll need to drill a couple of holes in the OTA to accept the new brackets. Not ideal, but I think it is worth doing to have a useable finder.

2. The accessories now have a nice new box...

post-33858-0-00363500-1434277921.jpg

post-33858-0-10806500-1434277922.jpg

post-33858-0-40742300-1434277923.jpg

post-33858-0-72799900-1434277906.png

:smile:

• Like 4

Interesting acessories Derek :smiley:

I used to have some plossls in the same design. They were .965" fitting and I had the 9mm, 12.5mm and 25mm. I didn't realise back then that they were Unitron / Polarex but seeing yours, I realise that they were.

Interesting acessories Derek :smiley:

I used to have some plossls in the same design. They were .965" fitting and I had the 9mm, 12.5mm and 25mm. I didn't realise back then that they were Unitron / Polarex but seeing yours, I realise that they were.

I don't suppose that 25mm is kicking around in a box of old bits and bobs is it John? :help:

I don't suppose that 25mm is kicking around in a box of old bits and bobs is it John? :help:

Sorry Derek - it was part exchanged when I moved to 1.25" eyepiece in the 1990's :embarrassed:

Your wanted ad may pay dividends though :smiley:

Only just found this thread Derek, well done on a good find. Classic scopes just have that certain something, they look elegant and a good make will give you good views. A good 60mm long focus scope can show a surprising amount of stuff. Enjoy

• Like 2

Sorry Derek - it was part exchanged when I moved to 1.25" eyepiece in the 1990's :embarrassed:

Your wanted ad may pay dividends though :smiley:

Let's hope so, John :wink:

Only just found this thread Derek, well done on a good find. Classic scopes just have that certain something, they look elegant and a good make will give you good views. A good 60mm long focus scope can show a surprising amount of stuff. Enjoy

Thanks, Phil - I have certainly been encouraged by what I have seen so far and looking forward to trying the upgraded optics I have bought if the clouds ever go away!

Wow what a beauty! I bet that has a real nice vintage feel to it. Love it!

Thanks, Kinley. Yes, it does have a very special feel to it and it is great to own a bit of Astronomy history.

Welcome to SGL and to astronomy :wink:

Hi Derek

Just love that little 114 Polarex. I posted some pics of mine on the Show us your Frac thread started by Chris. I really liked mine and found it to be very good optically. Like John, I've read variable reviews of them..mostly from CN, and I remember one in particular where the owner was scathing about the optical performance and said that the scope was effectively only fit to be a living room ornament. I have to say that I don't recognise that view of this scope..mine was optically excellent.

Derek, I can vouch for the optical excellence of the 10mm BCO ortho which I bought new and sold to Chris..its IMHO just as good as the BGO 9mm. The coarse focus tube takes a little getting used to and you wouldn't ever want to put an Ethos in (!!), but normal 1.25" ep's will work really well.

I believe Crawmach in the US offer a good quality retrofit focuser that will fit a 60mm ota. I have one on my 80mm Moonraker and although its not a Moonlite its pretty solid and smooth.

Just a word on the altaz mount..with the possible exception of a 70s Pentax altaz which was it's equal, I don't think I've ever seen a better small altaz mount, ever. As you say, the engineering is second to none, simple and functions superbly. And it is surprisingly rigid on the stock tripod.

Thanks for sharing such a nice project and your DIY skills of which I am very envious! I think your finished scope will be worth £175-£225 resale but hope you keep it a while yet- or use it as a super finder on your big 150mm F8 achro when you get it!

Dave

• Like 1

..... Like John, I've read variable reviews of them..mostly from CN, and I remember one in particular where the owner was scathing about the optical performance and said that the scope was effectively only fit to be a living room ornament......

Was this the review you were thinking of Dave ?:

http://scopeviews.co.uk/Unitron114.htm

This person is UK based. Interesting web site if you have not seen it.

Hi John

Well found, that's the one:-). I remember he said so many great things about the looks and build of the scope, but clearly thought it wasn't optically very good.

Maybe he got a lemon, but I've owned 2 114's and a 4" F15 and they were all optically very good. I don't claim that they are as good as Televue (or even Swifts- I had an 831 that was superb), but the Polarex Unitrons I had were as good for example as Towa or Kenko equivalents.

I enjoy reading CN discussions and some of the reviews are just excellent. My only beef would be that sometimes people take very entrenched views at either extreme of a discussion which can lead to some (in my opinion) rather rude and personalised statements that aren't helpful. (I'm not including the Polarex review here in that, but I just think it's a shame the conclusion was so negative against the Polarex, with no comment for example that this scope might have been a lemon or not representative of the series?).

Just my opinion:-)

Dave

Hi John

Well found, that's the one:-). I remember he said so many great things about the looks and build of the scope, but clearly thought it wasn't optically very good.

Maybe he got a lemon, but I've owned 2 114's and a 4" F15 and they were all optically very good. I don't claim that they are as good as Televue (or even Swifts- I had an 831 that was superb), but the Polarex Unitrons I had were as good for example as Towa or Kenko equivalents.

I enjoy reading CN discussions and some of the reviews are just excellent. My only beef would be that sometimes people take very entrenched views at either extreme of a discussion which can lead to some (in my opinion) rather rude and personalised statements that aren't helpful. (I'm not including the Polarex review here in that, but I just think it's a shame the conclusion was so negative against the Polarex, with no comment for example that this scope might have been a lemon or not representative of the series?).

Just my opinion:-)

Dave

Fair and interesting points Dave.

I guess most people review stuff they have personally researched and purchased so remaining very detatched can be challenging. I've been very lucky having equipment loaned to me for review so I don't have any emotional attachment to it. It's easier to take a really critical eye to it then.

There is variation in quality between individual examples of scopes, we know that but a reviewer can only report on what is in front of him / her. I've had a few "dogs" over the years I have to confess :rolleyes2:.