Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellarium LDN (dark Nebula)

Downloaded the most up to date version of stellarium and the view is plastered with these LDN's all over. Described as dark nebula and given and opacity number. Sohhhh,

1. what are they and 2. assuming I cannot see them, how do I remove them from the stellarium view?

Steve

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what i did was go back to the older version,i thought it was better.

I know what you are saying but there are more dso's on this newer version that i can slew my scope to, I just want to lose the LDN's.

I tried the settings to see if i could get rid of the LDNs but had no luck,i don't see the point of having much more DSOs when they are blocked out by the LDNs,its a pity because there was so much more DSOs added.

On Win 7 goto C:\Program Files\Stellarium\nebulae\default.........there are a load of images and text files, find the "LDNCat_tabbed" text file and delete or rename it.

bingo, I was thinking there might be something to kill within the programme but i wouldnt have figured out what in a hundred years, cheers  :laugh:

On Win 7 goto C:\Program Files\Stellarium\nebulae\default.........there are a load of images and text files, find the "LDNCat_tabbed" text file and delete or rename it.

Dunnit!

Thanks just what I was looking for.

Wow!

So many pig-headed responses to what should be a simple request to show a specific class of object!

I'd really like the option to see either Messier, or LDN or VdB or Caldwell or other catalogs without having to sift through a plethora of lables on the screen (Or dive into the files and disable those I don't want to see in that particular session) but I guess the original developers didn't think that far ahead and bogged-up the codebase with no way back.

Thanks Martin for the tip, actually I wanted to create this topic myself, before Steve/Baz created it.

How about the reflection nebula that's preventing me  from clicking on Antares?

You can di it via command line. If you start a terminal, you go in the application folder and then inside stellarium.

Don't have a Mac with me now, but you should find some folders (I think inside contents). I think it is the folder called data. Then you can rename the files so that they don't appear.

If you don't find it I can give you the instructions tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah, quite weird that you can switch on off stars, planets etc, but not certain DSO catalogues.

You can remove it via command line. If you start a terminal, you go in the application folder and then inside stellarium.

Don't have a Mac with me now, but you should find some folders (I think inside contents). I think it is the folder called data. Then you can rename the files so that they don't appear.

If you don't find it I can give you the instructions tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah, quite weird that you can switch on off stars, planets etc, but not certain DSO catalogues.

After clicking on the application Terminal, type

cd /Applications/Stellarium

Not sure if there is a folder contents. If so use cd for changing directory and enter in the folder.

You should find a few folders.

You can enter using

cd foldername

For going back you can type

cd ..

To list the files use the command

ls

In one folder, which I think it is called data, but I am not sure, you should see files called ldn .

You can rename them with the command

mv ldn-file ldn-file-old

If you reboot Stellarium you should not see those catalogues.

Quite ridiculous that a user has to do all of this for just not seeing a catalogue, particularly when you have this option for showing or not exoplanets or pulsars..

After clicking on the application Terminal, type

cd /Applications/Stellarium

Not sure if there is a folder contents. If so use cd for changing directory and enter in the folder.

You should find a few folders .......

....... Quite ridiculous that a user has to do all of this for just not seeing a catalogue, particularly when you have this option for showing or not exoplanets or pulsars..

Many thanks going to give it a try later.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Archived