Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can you sell software?

You need to look at the terms and conditions attached to each piece of software and see what it says you can do. Otherwise I suggest that you contact the suppliers to find out rather than risk just selling it on especially as regards updating and support.

Peter

Keep in mind, if software requires an account to operate, that may present more difficulty since they tend to consider that a service, they do anything they can to prevent reselling used software even though it is allowed.  They make it even more difficult due to activation requirements especially with digital distribution. Amazon are pretty good at following EU law regarding consumer rights though if you read their terms, however, digital distribution I do not use for purchasing software for this very reason (also why I refuse to purchase digital eBooks). I always always order a boxed product.

As for PixInsight, I am holding out for an Educational/Student license. It will come eventually, sometime. I refuse to pay "professional" teir pricing for a non-profit making educational hobby.

I believe you can sell computer software that is no longer used on 'your' computer, as long as all traces of the operating system and software have been erased from the HDD (that includes the registry too), and you 'agree' to sell it with the end user licence [EUL] / certificate of authenticity [CoA] or agree that it has been not been 'modified' in any way that effects its intended use.

I think it is illegal for 'Joe Public' sell any computer, (PC/Mac/other), with any operating system and/or software/application, pre-installed and/or back-up, and that may/also include the 'recovery partition' unless it is new or used from a reputable dealer, (ie Morgan Computers or Tier1).

DISCLAIMER: I am not a software lawyer and I have no affiliation with the companies mentioned.

Hi

This is very complicated and it can be legally argued that the supplier conditions overrule this , but what Is of more importance is this ECJ 

Ruling will make most software providers go to a yearly subscription model ( Adobe )  which in the end will cost us money 

Don't you just love " smart people "

Harry

I hate software licenses, there are WAY too many different types, all designed to extract more cash from your wallet.

A subscription model is the last thing I want to get tied in to. I don't mind if support runs out and no more updates are available but to completely stop working is just plain wrong...I know we have a choice not to do it and that is what I choose...not to do it.

I believe you can sell computer software that is no longer used on 'your' computer, as long as all traces of the operating system and software have been erased from the HDD (that includes the registry too), and you 'agree' to sell it with the end user licence [EUL] / certificate of authenticity [CoA] or agree that it has been not been 'modified' in any way that effects its intended use.

I think it is illegal for 'Joe Public' sell any computer, (PC/Mac/other), with any operating system and/or software/application, pre-installed and/or back-up, and that may/also include the 'recovery partition' unless it is new or used from a reputable dealer, (ie Morgan Computers or Tier1).

DISCLAIMER: I am not a software lawyer and I have no affiliation with the companies mentioned.

Not sure that the last bit is true - its is true that an Windows OS cannot be legally transferred from one computer to another but selling the computer with OS is OK

Not sure that the last bit is true - its is true that an Windows OS cannot be legally transferred from one computer to another but selling the computer with OS is OK

I actually spoke with somebody in licensing about this a long time ago and they said, technically I should not even be replacing the OEM installation with my own retail copy.  Which I do anyway :)  The OEM license is specific to that hardware platform, ie, the hardware you purchased.

They just don't really enforce this aspect.

all windows OS software since xp have required activation whether they are OEM or Retail versions,   the activation process involves the OS creating a hash  key dependent on certain items of hardware (change one of those items and you have to call Microsoft to get it reactivated, they limit the amunt of times you can do this per license key

It is complicated and not clear cut. It depends primarily on the software licence. Most licences are not transferable. As others have mentioned... you may need access to the original registration account and normally that would not be available.

I work on the basis that I cannot as I really cannot be bothered to do the investigation necessary to find out the facts :)

Agreed, it varies from application to application. There's not much use transferring a license to somebody else, if updates are going to require use of *your* email address.

A good example of transferable software is Nebulosity. From the license:

You may permanently transfer your license to use the software to another party who will be bound by this agreement, provided you do not retain any copies of the software.

Generally, I've found the licensing models used with astronomy software to be very reasonable - allowing use on multiple machines, not phoning home, etc. I suppose it makes sense; people who spend a small fortune on equipment are unlikely to cheat on the software side of things. It's nice not to be treated like a criminal :)

Archived