Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn in 28" by iphone

quaoar

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your You Tube video of Saturn not only worked, it worked superbly well.

Quite astonishing, and I'm very envious of the Telescope you have, which no doubt is the major factor in acquiring such fine results.

I'm not sure Our UK skies would permit such clarity, even for a 20 second video. We get very occasional steady seeing, but I stress rarely.

I think you may impressed a good many of SGL members with these remarkable images, and I sincerely hope you continue to post 

any further work you produce with that big eyed photon grabber you own.

Thanks for some very pleasant sights.

It would be nice if we could address you by your Christian Name, but of course that is entirely up to you, there is no 

rule in place about that at all.

Best Wishes .

Ron.

As an afterthought, since you video  Imaged Saturn so well.,  a big challenge might be to capture the ISS as it passes over you.

It flies in a straight line as you know, but still may be difficult to keep in the FOV  at high magnification.

The instrument is very large, so I understand if tracking would prove too difficult.

Just a thought. Besides, you probably don't do requests :grin:  :grin:.

No worries Ron,

I just like trying to get good iphone astro pics for bragging rights really lol. I'm not that deep into computing and haven't a clue about image processing but I get a kick out of showing what a good dob, with a great optic, on a good night can do :evil: .

I think the ISS is probably a bridge too far but you never know. I'm keen to get a good Jupiter and Mars eventually.

I managed this image of the moon and Saturn last year on my 18" Plettstone dob with Zambuto mirror, another excellent scope.

Anyone who is thinking of a big dob I can highly recommend premium second hand scopes, there are some real gems out there.

cheers

Barry

post-18787-0-86526500-1432619299_thumb.j

Excellent results Barry, and a good representation I think of an eyepiece view on the best nights in a big scope. I'd be very interested to see how long an exposure you can manage with your setup (Argo/Servocat) without trailing/field rotation. Even 5 seconds with a sensitive camera like the Lodestar and live stacking software could lead to some really impressive results on DSOs… (I realise this is the planetary section but one can hope :smiley: ).

Martin

Thanks Barry, and you've no reason to brag really, your  imaging results speak volumes for you. 

I thought an ISS adventure would present too many difficulties. Not to worry though, I'm sure

your follow ups will more than compensate  :grin:.

Ron.

• 2 weeks later...

Troy Tranter of Newcastle NSW Australia kindly processed the original 26 second iphone video to produce this picture

THAT'S billiant image of saturn Barry :Envy: I thought your first was un-beatable- AMAZING :icon_salut: think i'll see if i can make one up my self!thanx for posting.

Andrew

Archived