NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunt 50 DSLR image

Owmuchonomy

Following on from a couple of other threads today where it was mentioned that you may not be able to image with a DSLR/Lunt 50 and spurred on by Davey-T I had a go.

I took 5000 frames on my 60D through my Lunt 50 B600 and applied my planetary imaging techniques.  So, convert in Pipp, stack in AS!2 and then sharpen in PS.  I also saw other monochrome tinted images so i did that too.  Here is my first effort using this process.  I think I will struggle to get the definition of a dedicated B+W CCD set up.

post-35542-0-61586400-1431543620_thumb.j

Nice one. Did you pull data from the red channel only? When I was imaging with my PST and DSLR someone suggested I do this and it really helped pull out the detail.

I

would second what my namesake has just said. Using just the red channel gives more detail. The same is true for a DSLR using an Ha filter for deep sky.

Dave

No I didn't but I wouldn't know how to do that? Can you advise how and at what stage? Many thanks.

OK, you're only using a quarter of your pixels but they are small pixels and there are a lot of them so this is a remarkably good result in my view. Very impressive.

From your description you used the same dataset for proms and disk? If the proms are faint and struggling any time then you could use a slower frame rate for them and combine in Ps.

Good stuff.

Olly

Thanks Luke.

Olly: Yes one movie, one data set at ISO1600.  I'm experimenting today.

David (squared): I tried the red channel only in Pipp but I can't get it to stack in AS!2 and I think it is because the images are saturated.  The frames are very bright irrespective of ISO.  I shot several movies ranging from ISO 125 to ISO 1600 and in red channel only the processed AVI frames are extremely bright with no surface detail at all.

Archived