Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

G'day from Downunder!

Wardie44

G'day Wardie,

I'm a bit envious of your southern skies :), I'm origionally from Sydney/Wollongong but spent a bit of time "in the bush". My family is from Temora and my bro-in-law is from Narrabri. I also have a mate with a farm up mudgee so I know NSW fairly well. I'm now in the UK and believe me, You've no idea what bad astronomy weather is like :).

Anyway, enough of my drivel. enjoy your new scope and don't be afraid to ask questions as and when they no doubtedly will pop up.

Scott

Thanks very much, Scott!

Talk about coincidence; I was born and bred in The Gong, though I haven't lived there since 1987. The only thing I really miss about it is the smell of the salt water. All the great places I used to ride my push-bike (I raced them) are far too crowded with traffic now.

I love your Einstein quote, too! He was an amazing man.

All the best,

Brian from Oz

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Brian, and welcome .. great pics by the way :-)

Hello Brian and a very warm welcome to the star-crazy gang. Age is just a number mate and who says you shouldn't enjoy life right to the last day. Have a great time with your astronomy and also with your new friends on this wonderful forum.

All the best

Bob

Welcome to SGL, Brian!

Dana

Hi brian and welcome from south wales uk.better late then never,i wish we had all your good weather here in the uk,its very good for cloud watching here.all the best mate.charl

Hello Brian and welcome to SGL!!

Hello Brian, welcome to SGL

Hello and welcome Brian.

Hi Brian and welcome to SGL, like your album of images, enjoy your new scope and your journey into the dark side (AP) as we affectionately call it :)

Thanks for the welcome, all of you! Sorry to group you together but there are far more replies than I expected.

FYI (see, I'm up with the 'hip' talk!), the forecast was pretty right. Here it is Sunday afternoon and it's very overcast with occasional showers.

I'm sure I'll be posting a question or 3 before too long.

All the best,

Brian from Oz

P.S.: John, what if you're afraid of the dark........?

Hi Brian & Welcome to SGL.  Hope you enjoy your time here.  Great pictures on flicker.  How big is the Large harmless spider??

Thanks for your welcome, Mary! I hope so, too.

The female Golden Orb-weaver was pretty large, possibly 100 to 110 mms top to bottom, including its legs. 

All the best,

Brian from Oz

Hi Brian from the bush and welcome to the lounge from the other side of the blue dot.

Thanks for the welcome, Ian!

I assume the 'blue dot' is the earth. I wonder whether there are telescopes (or similar) aimed at us from somewhere deep in the almost unfathomable darkest reaches of our universe....... (I've been watching too much Sheldon Cooper, I think).

All the best,

Brian from Oz

Welcome aboard.

Thanks, Degs!

That's quite a line-up of camera gear you have. Mine is Canon 7D, Sigma 18-250mm, Sigma 17-50mm, Sigma 150-500mm, Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro and Canon EF 50mm f1.8. They may take a bit of a back-seat for a while, because it looks like being a clear night tonight.

All the best,

Brian

Hi and welcome.

Peter

Thanks, Peter!

I understood little of your list of equipment, I'm afraid. I liked the Newton quote, though.

All the best,

Brian

Hello and a warm welcome

Cylon

Thanks, Cylon!

Hey, you should come to Grenfell next month for the Henry Lawson Festival and sprout some poetry here.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

All the best,

Brian

Welcome to SGL Brian, go slowly with that astro photography, that little Mak will make a great Lunar and planetary scope, oh and globular clusters will look great too.. :)

Welcome to SGL Brian, go slowly with that astro photography, that little Mak will make a great Lunar and planetary scope, oh and globular clusters will look great too.. :)

Thanks for the welcom, Guy! I hope you'll still be friendly after we thrash you in The Ashes in a couple of months' time.........

You seem to know a thing or three, so I hope you read this post, because I need a quick answer to a very basic question and it looks like you know my set-up, which, as a reminder, is a Maksutov-Cassegrain 127 mm with GoTo.

Well, we finally had a run of clear nights, so on Saturday I got out to the mate's farm, where we TRIED to align the little beast. I'd forgotten to take the 'sky map' that I'd printed from a website, so that made life difficult for starters. However, I also used co-ordinates that I'd got from Google Maps (but we'd set up in a slightly different spot anyway). So, my first question is: are the Google co-ordinates accurate or will I have to buy a GPS device? The second question is: how do I override the auto function via the Syn-Scan remote control? Seeing as we had the wrong co-ordinates, I thought there may be a way of just cruising around and locking onto something that way but I couldn't work it out. All we could see was blackness - and, yes, we did take the big cap off the top of the 'scope! I had fitted the 25 mm Wide Angle 'Eye Relief' lens. Should I have been using the 10 mm instead for initialising? Oh, it just occurred to me that I may have got the order wrong...... next to the 90 degree mirror, I placed the 2x Barlow lens, then the 25 mm Wide Angle. Was that right?

As you can see, I'm all at sea here, being a raw beginner. I think my mate's kids were somewhat disappointed that we weren't able to let them see any wonders 'out there'.

Any and all advice you can offer will be very much appreciated. BTW, I'm still waiting for the camera adaptors to arrive. Hopefully, they will show up today.

Thanks in advance and all the best,

Brian

Hi there and welcome to SGL

...from another 70 year old member ..from the Great White North

Cheers amd good luck in your astro journey

Roger

G'day, Roger, and thanks for the welcome!

Wow, that's an impressive list of gear (most of which means absolutely nothing to me at present)! I was going to ask you how long you've been 'into' astronomy but, judging by the list, I'd guess you didn't take it up last week.

I don't have a wife, unfortunately, but I understand your little problem. Don't worry, I won't tell her...........

All the best,

Brian

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the welcom, Guy! I hope you'll still be friendly after we thrash you in The Ashes in a couple of months' time.........

Thanks in advance and all the best,

Brian

And which ones are we talking about Bri ... :grin:  :grin:  :grin:  :grin:

Archived