SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

G'day from Downunder!

Wardie44

G'day, One-and-all,

I'm an older gentleman from the Central West of the state of New South Wales, the most populous state in Australia. However, most of the population is along the coast, so there's lots of wide, open spaces out here.

My first ever telescope was purchased just 2 days ago - some might say "better late than never!", considering that I'm 70 years old.

I've been involved in general photography (as a hobby) for many years and I have a Flickr site. [if you'd like to check out some of my images, here it is: https://www.flickr.com/photos/47572660@N08/  The images you should see on that page are all thumbnails.] I have had the idea of getting a telescope for quite some time but I thought it may be just too complicated for an old chap like me. (It is, really!) However, I 'lashed out' and got myself a SkyWatcher Maksutov-Cassegrain 127mm thing with GoTo control. I'm hoping to have it all sorted out by tomorrow evening, though the weather forecast isn't the best for astronomy. Anyway, as I'm already 'into' photography, as soon as the necessary adaptors arrive, I'll be hooking up my Canon DSLR to the eyepiece of the new 'scope and, hopefully, things will get interesting from there.

I hope to get to know some of you out there in cyberspace soon.

Best wishes from 'the bush' (that's what we call anywhere away from cities in Australia)!

Brian

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Brian and welcome to SGL - Imaging is great, but can be oh so frustrating at times :D Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here - This place is chocked full of helpful and friendly folk.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi Brian & welcome to SGL.

Nice pictures, will look at more of them later.

Honda CB200, I passed my motorcycling test on one, got attacked by a Jack Russel terrier in the middle of the test.  The main electrical fuse under the seat had corroded and disintegrated shortly after I got back from the test.

I had borrowed the CB200 as my Honda CJ250 was playing up.

Best of luck with your new scope.

Cheers,

Fondofchips.

G'day Wardie,

I'm a bit envious of your southern skies :), I'm origionally from Sydney/Wollongong but spent a bit of time "in the bush". My family is from Temora and my bro-in-law is from Narrabri. I also have a mate with a farm up mudgee so I know NSW fairly well. I'm now in the UK and believe me, You've no idea what bad astronomy weather is like :).

Anyway, enough of my drivel. enjoy your new scope and don't be afraid to ask questions as and when they no doubtedly will pop up.

Scott

Hello Brian and a very warm welcome to the star-crazy gang. Age is just a number mate and who says you shouldn't enjoy life right to the last day. Have a great time with your astronomy and also with your new friends on this wonderful forum.

All the best

Bob

Hi welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley:

Hi.welcome to SGL Brian.

Welcome Brian,  :smiley:

Hi Brian and welcome to SGL - Imaging is great, but can be oh so frustrating at times :D Glad that you found us and hope that you enjoy your time here - This place is chocked full of helpful and friendly folk.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hello Brian and welcome from me, located in chilly Norway  :smiley: .

Rune

Thanks for the welcome, all of you! Sorry to group you together but there are far more replies than I expected.

FYI (see, I'm up with the 'hip' talk!), the forecast was pretty right. Here it is Sunday afternoon and it's very overcast with occasional showers.

I'm sure I'll be posting a question or 3 before too long.

All the best,

Brian from Oz

Hi Brian & welcome to SGL.

Nice pictures, will look at more of them later.

Honda CB200, I passed my motorcycling test on one, got attacked by a Jack Russel terrier in the middle of the test.  The main electrical fuse under the seat had corroded and disintegrated shortly after I got back from the test.

I had borrowed the CB200 as my Honda CJ250 was playing up.

Best of luck with your new scope.

Cheers,

Fondofchips.

Great nom-de-plume!

Thanks for your interest and welcome! I never really considered myself a 'bikie' as such, though I had several bikes over a couple of short periods. The CB200 was traded in on a Fiat 125 Special. The last bike I had was a Kawasaki GT550, a shaftie. I covered over 9,000 kms on it during my 3 weeks' annual leave in 1995. I should never have got rid of that bike.

Thanks for the good wishes re the 'scope, too - I'll need it, as there's a lot to absorb at the beginning.

All the best,

Brian from Oz

Welcome to SGL  Brian  :smiley: ,  Some  great pictures there Brian :grin: .

Hi Brian

Welcome to SGL

Peter

Hi Brian, welcome to SGL :)

Hi Brian,

Warm welcome to SGL. Don't worry there are plenty of us silver observers here :grin:

Thanks for the welcome, all of you! Sorry to group you together but there are far more replies than I expected.

FYI (see, I'm up with the 'hip' talk!), the forecast was pretty right. Here it is Sunday afternoon and it's very overcast with occasional showers.

I'm sure I'll be posting a question or 3 before too long.

All the best,

Brian from Oz

Archived