Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lacerta 1:10 microfocuser

Hi everyone.

I've been pondering getting a 1:10 focuser to achieve better focus. I've read that it is good for scopes that are 20cm diameter. Does this mean tube diameter or apeture diameter?

Or put another way - would the Lacerta work well with my Skywatcher 150P?

Here's the link to what I'm looking at:

http://www.365astronomy.com/Dual-Speed-1-10-Microfocus-Upgrade-Kit-for-Skywatcher-Crayford-Focusers.html

I thought the 150p had a rack and pinion focuser?

If so, this will not work, your 'scope needs a crayford focuser for the upgrade kit.

Leigh's full upgrade of the whole unit might be the answer.

However, the upgrade really is no hassle at all to fit and conversely, I think it's well worth the £35 saving over the full replacement (you can put it towards a further mod. Mine went on a RACI finderscope! :) ).

If so, this will not work, your 'scope needs a crayford focuser for the upgrade kit.

However, the upgrade really is no hassle at all to fit and conversely, I think it's well worth the £35 saving over the full replacement (you can put it towards a further mod. Mine went on a RACI finderscope! :) ).

flo website states its a crayford :)

newer 150p have a crayford

Maybe but not 100% sure so thanks for the heads up. Have sent the email so hopefully get the final word soon.

In people's experience does the fine focus make a good level of difference?

I have one of those fitted to my 10" dob and it's excellent. Though, as with every other time I have ordered from 365, the delivery was delayed. I no longer use them despite everyone else singing their praises.

Thanks for the feedback Tiny. I've bought from them before and found the delivery time fair, what I would have liked was an estimated delivery date.

Sadly with the poor weather I've had recently I'm not in a massive rush to get it if I buy.

The Lacerta 10:1 upgrade is very good, makes focusing so much more

precise, download the PDF instructions, then you can read it through before 

it arrives, but it is simple to fit anyway, and it will fit your scope, your focuser

is a dual-fit 1.25/2inch Crayford focuser, that's if it's fairly new, if you are not

sure, then use the instructions to have a look and see, it will take two minutes

to look, if it has rack and pinion, then it won't fit.

Cheers for the advice Ronl, what scope do you use it on? Will take a look at that pdf, may settle the question over whether it works for the 150P. Haven't heard back from 365Astronomy yet.

Am encouraged by your experience Tich, have you found it makes a good difference?

have you found it makes a good difference?

It makes a huge difference.

The fine adjustment allows for much more precise focusing.

The whole set up is solider than the stock focuser.

Less time at the focuser and so less vibration too.

The tension is also adjustable.

I like mine, as you may have guessed!

Roysten, I use the lacerta on my 200p, which is virtually the same scope as yours,

the difference it makes, focusing is 100% easier, it is very precise, and slowly brings

your view to focus, the lacerta is very well made, and as I said before, easy to fit, just

follow the instructions, if you have downloaded the PDF, you will see there's not much

to it really, you won't be disappointed with it I'm sure.

Cheers Ronl, I took a look and it looks the same (having not seen an old rack and pinion I wasn't sure how obvious the difference would be).

I may be coming across as cautious, am just making sure I don't go too crazy spending.

Based on what you and everyone else has said though I've decided to buy it! I'll report back with how I get on with i, definitely looking forward to some sharp focus!

It arrived this morning, really very impressed with it essentially arriving in two working days.

Installed it via the online instructions, which are easy to follow, seems to work well. I can tell you all that it certainly does fit the Skywatcher Explorer 150P. Here is a pic:

post-43751-0-85593700-1431195035_thumb.j

Even better, the sun has just come out, fingers crossed it'll get a test-drive this evening!  :grin:

It's arrived and I've got it installed! Takes a few different Allen keys but is quite quick and easy to do.

Is very, very smooth. Am looking forward to a clear night to test it properly

• 3 weeks later...

It just arrived yesterday. 
The installation was quite easy. 
It runs nice, although it's a bit tougher that the original focuser. (maybe it need some tweaking?)
And the little wheel has a some amount of wobble, but nothing I cannot live with.

9/10 would recommend to a friend.

Archived