Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

St George's Day Jupiter from Bembridge

SnakeyJ

If only.... the crayford focuser went all slack and needed adjustment to hold the weight of the image train, then the battery for my focus motor decided to give up, prompting a very quick visit to my local shop.   However, by the time I was up and running, the seeing was very good for almost an entire run - R&G good and blue pants!

So making the best of what I got, here's an RGB, using the blue channel taken 10 minutes earlier before I shot out to the shop:

post-26731-0-80430100-1429828835.png

If the seeing had held a little longer that might have been my best of the season!

Red and green channels for interest:

post-26731-0-23574300-1429828979_thumb.p post-26731-0-89074400-1429828988_thumb.p

Excellent stuff Jake very nice indeed. Your detail is lovely. Seeing was good I went out with the 300p

wish I had used the Orion possibly, as the large scope was a struggle to get cool. And get a stable image.

Thanks Neil, a shame about the blue and only getting the one run, but I'm quite pleased with the result.

Look forward to your results from Goliath. How many times did you have to use the hairdryer?

Thanks Neil, a shame about the blue and only getting the one run, but I'm quite pleased with the result.

Look forward to your results from Goliath. How many times did you have to use the hairdryer?

Its nothing to write home about.  Under the circumstances, wish I used the Orion really.  I couldn't get a stable image even though the seeing was pretty calm at  certain points. Crazy the conditions get better, Just when Jupiter is so far over my house roof its hard to get stability. That area is often difficult for me. Being so late in the opposition, I am in that area as soon as I start now.

By the time it was dewing I was packing up. So no hairdrayer. Can you use that, I tried once and my primary dewed up. Though I haven't tried cool air, does that work ?

Ill post up out of interest though.

Wouldn't mind that planetary scope posted on the other thread,  in Barbados  

Thank you Pete and Simon, just trying to find something to lift the blue channel up a bit, but the quality is very poor and I think focus the focus must have been a little off.     Nice to get a brief period of good seeing though!

Its nothing to write home about.  Under the circumstances, wish I used the Orion really.  I couldn't get a stable image even though the seeing was pretty calm at  certain points. Crazy the conditions get better, Just when Jupiter is so far over my house roof its hard to get stability. That area is often difficult for me. Being so late in the opposition, I am in that area as soon as I start now.

By the time it was dewing I was packing up. So no hairdrayer. Can you use that, I tried once and my primary dewed up. Though I haven't tried cool air, does that work ?

Ill post up out of interest though.

I had to use it three times last night, blowing warm air over the secondary for 20-30 seconds.   It takes a couple of minutes to settle back down, but not had any problems with moving the damp on to the primary.    It was getting very humid last night and there was quite a heavy mist in when I woke up this morning!

I'll take a look at your thread and the one from Barbados - always up for a little scope envy!

Neil, where's this other thread?  I've drawn blanks in planetary imaging and a forums search for recent mentions of Barbados :)

Great capture Jake, nice to see you about even though your scope is homeless.

I decided to have a go at a Moon mosaic last night. A little difficult due to it being low and at one point obscured by a tree branch.

Lee

Hi Again Jake I was just saying this cope at the bottom of the page would be a killer in Barbados possibly. Would love to try one of these under excellent skies http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/241929-big-sct-or-big-dob-eq-platform/page-3

Thanks Neil - I did sneek a quick peek at this yesterday, but a scary price tag and you probably only get a couple of nights a year when UK conditions might do this justice and then only when we get more favourable elevations ;)

Great capture Jake, nice to see you about even though your scope is homeless.

I decided to have a go at a Moon mosaic last night. A little difficult due to it being low and at one point obscured by a tree branch.

Lee

The moon looked very good setting to the west last night, but I was diverted by venus and then had problems with the crayford and focus motor to resolve!   At least with the moon it comes around again quickly :)

Jake you are the duracell of planetary imaging - not even a flat battery can stop this man! Shame about the blue channel those RG shots look very nice!

Cheers Stuart - I'm not quite as chirpy as one of those duracell bunnies!  I think in tightening up the OC1 focuser I've put more strain on the focus motor - it worked for as long as it took to cool down and then gave up totally.     I'm using a stepper focuser based on TekkyDave's ascom/arduino project, with a 5v 28byj-48 powered by a 9v battery.   I brought the uprated 12v version of the motor last year, but have not got around to swapping it out - though when done the whole thing can run from the 13.8v DC mount power and should cope with heavier loads.

Archived