Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

You cant go wrong with this (says the guy who messed up making one THREE times):

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

It will give very nice white light views of the Sun and you will see Sun spots also. If you are good with sticky tape,cardboard and scissors................you will have no trouble constructing the housing for it that fits on the scope. I'm so useless at Blue Peter type projects that i eventually bought a Hershel wedge and safety filter(s). Not the cheapest way to do things but i cant complain. The wedge only works on refractors, so would be useless on your reflector............so basically forget i even mentioned it.

Make your own for £18 - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

I've done this a few times myself. Cornflakes packet and the film above and some sticky tape - good fun.

Whatever you do, do not be tempted with one of the "sun filters" that screw into the eyepiece - they are very very dangerous.

Cheers

Ant

Baader film is the standard stuff.

Last sheet I bought was £20 and you would have to make one up Blue Peter style.

So check how much a premade one actually costs as the difference may be mininal.

I'd rather have a screw in filter. Why are they dangerous? I don't know how to use the film.

Because they can crack and blind you. Simples.

Also they are only for refractors, a newts secondary can be damaged if you don't use a full aperture front filter

I used the Baader film, cardboard and duct tape - it is really easy if you take your time. I wrapped a few lengths of corrugated cardboard around the scope to make a cylinder. Cut two circles the same diameter as this cylinder and then cut holes in them to the diameter I wanted the filter. Stick the film between them with some double-sided sticky tape and then tape them to the cylinder...slide it on the scope and away you go! Just handle the film carefully and don't forget to remove the very thin clear film that was one one side....

from what  I have read the screw in ones are liable to degrade, crack and blind you.

I'd rather have a screw in filter. Why are they dangerous? I don't know how to use the film.

The instructions on how to build and use the film are in the pack. Its a simple but safe way to observe the Sun at very little cost. A screw in glass filter (unlike most other screw in filters) is not an option simply because it will NOT stop the heat or dangerous light from the Sun getting to your eye. In most cases where people try these glass screw in solar filters...........they crack and you will do damage to your eyes. They dont stop any heat or dangerous light getting to your eyes. Absolutely DO NOT TRY ONE.

If you dont want to make your own filter using the film as mentioned by everyone, you can buy a premade one. They are a bit more expensive and are as safe, if not safer then making one yourself (depending on your DIY skills).

Again................please do not think about buying a glass screw-in solar filter. 

The only safe glass solar filters are the ones designed to be used in conjunction with Hershel wedges. The wedge stops 95% of the heat and dangerous light from getting to your eyes. The glass filter you need to use with the wedge is called an ND3.0 filter and it stops the extra 5% of heat and dangerous light from getting to your eyes. As i said before...............totally useless and for use with reflector scopes.

p.s.~~~the part of the human eye that can be damaged by observing the Sun without proper safety filters etc has no pain receptors, so you wouldnt even know that you are damaging your eyes while observing.

The eyepiece screw in solar filter is virtually banned in the UK. Occasional they are sold on eBay via Chinese/Hong Kong websites but members on this forum usually ask eBay or the seller to remove them. Without the protection of a front filter the full heat of the Sun focuses on the glass solar filter and will crack it. If you are viewing the Sun at that time you will be BLINDED PERMANENTLY. Added to which your reflecting telescope will overheat and will crack the secondary mirror.

Have a look at this video - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014hpkh

If you don't fancy making a filter talk with FLO and they will recommend a manufactured solar filter.

Haha I'm scared to look at it now! Thanks for the recs guys.

Dont be scared. Just buy yourself the solar film mentioned and make your own filter (if you are good with blue peter type projects), or buy a pre-made one. Either way it will be safe.

Enjoy. Its lovely to get outside on a sunny day and have a look at the Sun. 

With a sun filter of course....

:grin:

I wrote up my process HERE if you want to have a look - was for my 200p Dob, so you'll have to scale it back a bit!

I was all set for a bit of solar observing this afternoon, but by the time i got home there was a lot of high level whispey milky cloud and i dont think i'd see much detail. 

Archived